Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In 5 years they will either be a powerhouse again, or folded.

I’m guessing the latter since it’s known they have some financial problems. Definitely poor timing on the announcement.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 3

Well...I guess I'm going to have to wait until next year to decide if this move was worth it. I don't really know what to think right now.

Edited by Tupid_06
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Can we please leave the Cavaliers out of this. There has been no talk of this happening. This move by Madison is a blatant, obvious act of desperation not equality.

It's a fair question. And I agree that perhaps the reason for the change now may be somewhat questionable.

At the end of the day, most people in the drum corps community outside of Madison Alum, traditionalist may have issue with the change that may have affects outside of Madison.

Just now, drummergirl said:

Doesn’t feel like it is the correct solution to the actual problem.

Most certainly agree. Seems to be a drastic reaction to a temporary situation. Might have some value in the short term but not long term. Did anyone ever ask what makes the Scouts special? The answer to that question may very well have been the better solution to a temporary problem. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I’m guessing the latter since it’s known they have some financial problems. Definitely poor timing on the announcement.

Jim was told they’re in the black by a very reliable source. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

And yet -- everyone is thinking about it in the context of they are the last all-male Corps. 

The Cavaliers are a very successful all male corps. Not only the most successful all male corps, but one of the most successful corps in the history of DCI.

Madison did not make this move for equality etc... they made this out of desperation. I would guarantee you that if they were in the Top 12 right now this would not have happened.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will have to say I am mixed about this decision. 

This is either bold, decisive leadership or grabbing at straws and only time will tell which is the case.

Madison’s health or lack of health is not due to being an all male corps, and drops in placement have not been due to it being all male. It seems to be due to infighting, lack of confidence in leadership, and poorly designed shows. I also have never heard loud cries from young women longing to be a Madison Scout, although I have heard young men say they did not choose Madison because it is all guys. 

Now where I do see this could be a possible good move is that it will bring new voices and a new people into the mix. This may be the lifeline needed. 

• Thanks 3