Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

2 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

DCI has not stopped an all female corps from being formed. When that day comes then we can talk about the membership of the Cavaliers. But right now no one is stopping an all female corps from happening, so there in indeed is equality.

DCI is not stopping an all male corps from happening either.  It was their own decision.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On one hand, I still disagree with this move because it seems to be the leadership succumbing to legal, financial and competitive pressure......but trying

to look at the positives....it could be good as a reset/reboot in the sense that, it pries the Corps out of traditions/image/identity. For decades, they have always had one foot

in the past. There's always been a concern of "does this fit the image of the Scouts I've always known" or "is this show "masculine" like the Scouts need to be?".

And like it or not, that hamstrings you as a designer. I did not like last year's show for that reason...it didn't look or feel "Madison". It was a decent show in general, but it was "off-brand".

This move defintiley tears them away from any of those concerns. This is no longer the Madison of old. It will be a new Madison, like it or not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, year1buick said:

hold-on-to-your-butts-9822482.png

The ratio of these type posts to actual rant posts so far is about 5 to zero. 

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

DCI is not stopping an all male corps from happening either.  It was their own decision.

Maybe I missed something but I don't see the relevance of this statement when looking at the context of his argument

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nine White Russians said:

This is no longer the Madison of old. It will be a new Madison, like it or not. 

This hasn’t been the Madison of old for at least 15-20 years. But I think the current staff is doing its best to get them back there, and probably the most capable of doing that.

1 minute ago, Newseditor44 said:

What Tim said. Anyone who thinks that this decision has anything to with the health of the organization has never managed a business or an organization. Given the times we live in, it’s clear this conversation is something that has been taking place internally for a while and most recently become a focal point for leadership. It sounds like they’ve had the right conversations internally, consulted alumni and done their due diligence. In fact, this kind of decision might have done more damage financially, a huge risk. But they felt it was the right decision moving forward, and I think they deserve kudos for having the courage to address the issue and act on it. 

Here’s wishing the Scouts many years of success. Bravo

As a stand-alone remedy, I'd agree with you. It had better be part of a larger plan to reorganize, revitalize and repair functional deficiencies. Opening up the pool of potential membership candidates is absolutely a step in the right direction, based on recent challenges in that area. Only time will tell whether this is part of a plan, or a desperate, "swing for the fences" move.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Maybe I missed something but I don't see the relevance of this statement when looking at the context of his argument

Agreed. Nor do I think DCI would put themselves in a position to do that. DCI is a promoter and a content coordinator, not a ruling body. 

3 minutes ago, Nine White Russians said:

....it could be good as a reset/reboot in the sense that, it pries the Corps out of traditions/image/identity. For decades, they have always had one foot

in the past. There's always been a concern of "does this fit the image of the Scouts I've always known" or "is this show "masculine" like the Scouts need to be?".

And like it or not, that hamstrings you as a designer. I did not like last year's show for that reason...it didn't look or feel "Madison". It was a decent show in general, but it was "off-brand".

Because this doesn't happen with every corps.

18 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

we actually don't know that - we can "think it" but it isn't a fact

This is a board where people state their opinions. So I’m not sure what your point is. His opinion is that this move is a deflection by the BOD and executive director to place blame for their failures on ...  not being coed. I for one agree with that opinion. Not that it matters what I think. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1