Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

4 minutes ago, skevinp said:

DCI is not stopping an all male corps from happening either.  It was their own decision.

Agreed. I’m just pointing out the fact that if someone wanted to start an all female corps they have the same opportunities that the men of the Cavaliers have.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

This is a board where people state their opinions. So I’m not sure what your point is. His opinion is that this move is a deflection by the BOD and executive director to place blame for their failures on ...  not being coed. I for one agree with that opinion. Not that it matters what I think. 

we actually don't know that *this change* will NOT fix any existing problems. That was my point.

the post didn't state it was a deflection - perhaps I missed that. Sorry.

I have to agree with Stephan that this decision is not going to increase their talent level. They have not been drinking from the same pool of talent as the top two tier organizations and becoming a Co-Ed corps isn’t going to change that talent level. 

Unless Scouts are in the financial position to hire the quality of staff long term with the coattails to lift them into the top two tiers of talent within the next several years, Stephan believes they will continue to struggle to make the fourth tier and eventually fold just like Racine did. 

• Like 2

The fact that the Scouts are an all male corps doesn't make the list of the top 10 issues facing the corps. Making the corps co-ed won't solve a thing. 

Edited by bluesman
Punctuation
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Anyone who thinks that this decision has anything to with the financial health of the organization has never managed a business or an organization.

well I believe the decision has a LOT to do with the financial health of the organization and I manage a very large business

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I have to agree with Stephan that this decision is not going to increase their talent level. They have not been drinking from the same pool of talent as the top two tier organizations and becoming a Co-Ed corps isn’t going to change that talent level. 

Unless Scouts are in the financial position to hire the quality of staff long term with the coattails to lift them into the top two tiers of talent within the next several years, Stephan believes they will continue to struggle to make the fourth tier and eventually fold just like Racine did. 

Agreed. The females that are currently auditioning for a Top 12 corps aren’t suddenly going to wake up and decide to march the Scouts now their co-ed. In fact if I was auditioning for a corps in the fall the scouts would probably be furthest down the list given the instability and uncertainties. Becoming co-ed doesn’t suddenly solve crappy show design and bad management.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Read “The Art of Community.”   Author Charles Vogel talks about the seven principles for building and maintaining community and belonging.  He makes the point that every community has membership boundaries.  It’s through those boundaries that identity is created.  Without the boundaries, the community ceases to know who, what and why it is, and it will fail   

I think what many are saying is that the boundary of male membership is so core to Scouts that the Scouts community will fail.  And I think that’s absolutely right.  It will fail.  Scouts as we now know them will fail.  The question is whether a new community with new membership boundaries that will call itself the Madison Scouts but have totally different boundaries can thrive in its place.  That’s the scary part.  In an era where there are plenty of other Corps with established communities and in-tact membership boundaries, it’s going to be difficult sell for the Scouts.  In essence, they are a new organization.  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Agreed. I’m just pointing out the fact that if someone wanted to start an all female corps they have the same opportunities that the men of the Cavaliers have.

Gotcha.  I misread "there in indeed is equality" as "there is indeed inequality".  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1