Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

well I believe the decision has a LOT to do with the financial health of the organization and I manage a very large business

Let me clarify... I do not believe it’s the driving force behind the decision. Will it have an impact financially, absolutely. But I would also argue there is an incredible amount of risk involved as well. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Agreed. The females that are currently auditioning for a Top 12 corps aren’t suddenly going to wake up and decide to march the Scouts now their co-ed. In fact if I was auditioning for a corps in the fall the scouts would probably be furthest down the list given the instability and uncertainties.

True, however the talent pool the Scouts want to go after within the region, won't have to travel as far for a world class corps.

Now that this door is open, this will cause staff adjustments to attract the broader talent.

1 hour ago, ykw said:

If the reports were true about the number of those who auditioned for CG, this will help in recruiting.

True. But if the female talent that is left after all the other corps CGs are filled is crap, they'll merely have a bottom echelon CG.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, hc6434ot said:

No matter the situation they are in right now, this change is long overdue whether anyone likes it or not. The whole all-male corps thing seems extremely chauvinistic to me. Times have changed, and they’re missing out on some of the best talent out there. However, I think this will only be successful if there is a shake up in the administration after the season. If that doesn’t happen, then I don’t think much will change. 

This. Exactly. I am happy about this news, and hopefully it will help them talent wise, but many more changes need to happen before that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Let me clarify... I do not believe it’s the driving force behind the decision. Will it have an impact financially, absolutely. But I would also argue there is an incredible amount of risk involved as well. 

absolutely 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jordsterr said:

As an alumnus, I am furious that my corps made the decision to go coed, and I demand that they immediately reverse that decision.  If course, that was 50 years ago, and the corps was the Garfield Cadets.  😂

That wasn’t what returned the Cadets to greatness however with all due respect to my sisters in drum corps.  Bringing in great staff is what led them to the level of success they began achieving in the 80’s. 

I’m fine with Scouts going coed as long as they hire high profile staff with coattails who members are clamoring to learn under.  Because that’s the solution. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

This is a board where people state their opinions.

Son of a....  Now I have to go back and re-read everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, LoveKathyG said:

I think what many are saying is that the boundary of male membership is so core to Scouts that the Scouts community will fail.  And I think that’s absolutely right.  It will fail.

Come on.  Have some faith.

1 hour ago, MPutnam said:

I mean even the Boy Scouts are coed now...

This. I would think if boy scouts are coed than it was coming for Madison soon. It just makes sense. It's not like women aren't capable of being a part of an organization with such rich traditions.

I was in a co-ed service fraternity in college. It was fine.

By the time they let females in it will be 2020.

PS this will also help with any discrimination towards transgendered individuals for membership qualifications. In other words no one will ask if an FTM individual qualifies for membership.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

well I believe the decision has a LOT to do with the financial health of the organization and I manage a very large business

Yes, just because you manage a very large business allows you to see through walls into the Madison Scouts financial situation. 

• Haha 2