Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

Just an aside...I could never have played a horn in SCV during my years of eligibility. Women were not admitted to their brassline until 1981.  That was the best brassline  they had up to that point if you ask me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GREENBLUE said:

But your talented male student can’t march Crossmen Color Guard or many years Phantom Color Guard. How about basically getting kicked out of the corps the next year after marching phantom or Crossmen because you’re a male and the corps is going in a new direction with their guard to all female. Hypocrisy? 

No, I don't think that's right either. Turns out it's not hypocrisy when you think both are a little silly.

If a talented kid with a great work ethic and a good attitude shows up, I think it's a little ridiculous to turn them away based solely on gender. Turns out you can transfer that concept to all female color guards, too.

7 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

But your talented male student can’t march Crossmen Color Guard or many years Phantom Color Guard. How about basically getting kicked out of the corps the next year after marching phantom or Crossmen because you’re a male and the corps is going in a new direction with their guard to all female. Hypocrisy? 

I think if that member approached the administration and still wanted to be a part of the family they would accommodate them. At least that’s what I hope would be the case. 

That’s like saying the cymbal players that were excluded the year or two Madison axed the cymbal line that those members would not have been welcomed back in another capacity. 

Edited by Brian Tuma

2 hours ago, drummergirl said:

Doesn’t feel like it is the correct solution to the actual problem.

Exactly.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GREENBLUE said:

DCI has not stopped an all female corps from being formed. When that day comes then we can talk about the membership of the Cavaliers. But right now no one is stopping an all female corps from happening, so there indeed is equality.

But you don't exactly hear of any efforts to form an all-female corps these days either. Last I can recall was Bandettes, who folded about 15 years ago if I recall.

2 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

Scouts have a lot of problems right now...

this is not going to fix any of them.

Exactly. The Scouts adding girls with the same regime and show design changes nothing. This is a move made by a failed BOD and leadership team because who would criticize equality? 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Galen said:

But you don't exactly hear of any efforts to form an all-female corps these days either. Last I can recall was Bandettes, who folded about 15 years ago if I recall.

If an all female corps from the past had the competitive successes as well as financial stability of the Cavaliers they may still be around. The fact that the Cavaliers as an all male corps are still so successful and popular reiterates how amazing a job the staff and board has done through the years.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Thanks 2

So glad this is happening.  As an alumnus, I have been annoyed that it has taken this long, especially in regards to the conversation surrounding transgender members in recent seasons.  This is such a good day for the organization as a whole, and I am excited to see what happens in the future even though I am not really a fan of the current administration.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Lots of positive comments on the Madison Facebook page if anyone here needs a break. 

A break from what?  I get that you’re really hoping for lots of visceral negative reactions here but at worst I see a lot of “meh.”  Sorry to disappoint you. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

A break from what?  I get that you’re really hoping for lots of visceral negative reactions here but at worst I see a lot of “meh.”  Sorry to disappoint you. 

That’s it exactly. A break from the “meh” attitude, thanks. There’s some very positive feedback on their Facebook page. I want to see this new direction followed up by an internal shakeup, otherwise it’s just change for the sake of change.