Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Oh hell, I was pointed toward the guard room when I walked into the Skokie American Legion post in September 1971.  I said nope.  I’m here to play the French Horn bugle and I’ll show you I can do it if you let me.  All I had to do was play and I was in.  

Similar story with my high school color guard.  No males allowed per tradition.  Practiced my butt off and showed up to auditions and made the guard.  Got a lot of flack from the football team at first but it died down after I told one of the star players I spent 4 weeknights of 3-hour rehearsals surrounded by girls.

Edited by DeusExGreenMachina
  • Haha 2

Cavies don't seem to have an issue...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

That’s it exactly. A break from the “meh” attitude, thanks. There’s some very positive feedback on their Facebook page. I want to see this new direction followed up by an internal shakeup, otherwise it’s just change for the sake of change. 

This is a move made out of desperation and deflects from addressing the actual problem of awful leadership. It's very sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Cavies don't seem to have an issue...

Cavies gotta love this as it should help them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

A break from what?  I get that you’re really hoping for lots of visceral negative reactions here but at worst I see a lot of “meh.”  Sorry to disappoint you. 

Probably wanting to stop hearing the same five people say the same thing

No one with a pea brain thinks that Madison “fixes the problem” with this singular move. Yet that straw man argument has been posted here over and over 

what it does do is signal a willingness to think differently, outside the box

i have a strong feeling the situation is much more dire than many of those pontificating here seem to realize

alumni doing little else but complain is very tough to overcome 

if nothing else this provides some bread crumbs over there to draw the pigeons away while the grownups get to work

just my take on it as a complete outsider

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FlamMan said:

Cavies gotta love this as it should help them.

Cavies get a ton of $$$ from the city and their community and alumni. Does Madison? I think not 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Probably wanting to stop hearing the same five people say the same thing

No one with a pea brain thinks that Madison “fixes the problem” with this singular move. Yet that straw man argument has been posted here over and over 

what it does do is signal a willingness to think differently, outside the box

i have a strong feeling the situation is much more dire than many of those pontificating here seem to realize

alumni doing little else but complain is very tough to overcome 

if nothing else this provides some bread crumbs over there to draw the pigeons away while the grownups get to work

just my take on it as a complete outsider

CK and his failed team is to blame for demonizing and alienating Madison alumni. The situation here is dire because of a failed BOD and failed leadership team. Now these clowns have cover after this decision. 

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

CK and his failed team is to blame for demonizing and alienating Madison alumni. The situation here is dire because of a failed BOD and failed leadership team. Now these clowns have cover after this decision. 

Possibly- I do not know. 

However this move is also much more reflective of the organizations home city and community. Madison city is one of the most progressive in the USA. 

This new stance undoubtedly brings the organization in line with its own community, let alone our times 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

This is a move made out of desperation and deflects from addressing the actual problem of awful leadership. It's very sad.

Just because you (and I) may not agree with the administration or general design direction of the corps in recent years does not mean that this decision is one "made out of desperation" in order to deflect "from addressing the actual problem of awful leadership."  They are definitely different things that, I argue, should not be conflated.  I also disagree with your final sentiment.  It is not very sad, but quite wonderful to see the corps embracing a positive change in its identity and membership.

• Like 3