Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Cavies get a ton of $$$ from the city and their community and alumni. Does Madison? I think not 

Leaving the city of Madison was a mistake. Things have not gone well for the Scouts since moving to Bloomington. Scout alumni used to give alot of $ to the Scouts until this leadership team turned on them. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, hc6434ot said:

No matter the situation they are in right now, this change is long overdue whether anyone likes it or not. The whole all-male corps thing seems extremely chauvinistic to me. Times have changed, and they’re missing out on some of the best talent out there. However, I think this will only be successful if there is a shake up in the administration after the season. If that doesn’t happen, then I don’t think much will change. 

Wondering if you feel the same way about the Cavies?    Not every guy is cut out to be in an all Male Corps.  There are PLENTY of Coed Corps the female can choose from.   Now there will be only 1 all Male Corps if a guy wants to be in one.  Has nothing to do with being chauvinistic.  It's a brotherhood.  Kinda like a sorority...its a sisterhood.  Are you gonna call for the end of all Sororities now too?  No one is forcing these young men to be a Madison Scout...they are becasue THEY want to be

This move...sucks.  so many emotions flowing through me.  Funny thing is, my wife is even more angry/emotional than I.  What does that tell you?  

Tradition in Drum Corps...is dead.  

Edited by rainshdw08
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

You know what???

i feel discriminated against because I’m old and dci won’t let me march. Why put an age restriction on marching. If you audition and make it...who cares???

im surprised this hasn’t been brought up lol.

if all corps need to be gender inclusive then why not age???

Guarantee there are a lot of 25 year olds out there that could still make a Top 12 corps.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Great move, although many years overdue. Only one more corps to go

Nope

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

Well then, let's just tear down all fraternities, sororities, all male colleges, all female colleges, any associations or clubs because they are chauvinistic ...let's make everyone and everything all inclusive, take away any and all distinctions, uniqueness, tear down the evil patriarchy!!!!!!!!! 

Kappa Kappa Psi has pledged Women since before I joined in 1985. Everyone is still referred to as a "Brother" because it's a 'fraternity'. Men can also pledge Tau Beta Sigma and are "sisters". 

From my observation,  its worked out well for both organizations. Some of the Brothers I respect and admire the most in Kappa are women. 

AEA to all my Brothers, male and female.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Can I march with an aluminum walker?  It's lightweight and really helps with the knees I busted while dancing on concrete during drum corps.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

Just because you (and I) may not agree with the administration or general design direction of the corps in recent years does not mean that this decision is one "made out of desperation" in order to deflect "from addressing the actual problem of awful leadership."  They are definitely different things that, I argue, should not be conflated.  I also disagree with your final sentiment.  It is not very sad, but quite wonderful to see the corps embracing a positive change in its identity and membership.

I have a question for you? Not trying to sound rude, more so curious. You say you marched with the Scouts, but why did you leave them after three seasons to march the Blue Devils?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Can I march with an aluminum walker?  It's lightweight and really helps with the knees I busted while dancing on concrete during drum corps.

Judged a band recently with a blind member with a guide marching with her. FANTASTIC trumpet player and solid performer. Next question?

Thanks everyone for the support on this. I had the opportunity to shake the young lady's hand and personally give her my respect later on. One of the best things I have done recently.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

You know what???

i feel discriminated against because I’m old and dci won’t let me march. Why put an age restriction on marching. If you audition and make it...who cares???

im surprised this hasn’t been brought up lol.

Who here is staying all corps must be gender inclusive? 

Oh that’s right - no one

there are those celebrating the move, supporting the move and opposing the move

i haven’t seen a single post demanding this from all corps 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Compared to what we all had to go through with the Hoppy fiasco this is really no big deal in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2