Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

8 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

There are 22 WC corps in which a young man can march in. There are 21 WC corps in which a young woman can march in. I'll say it for the third time: if I take my band to a show and a talented young female trumpet player tells me she wants to march Cavies because she loved them, I tell her unfortunately she can't audition because she's a woman. I tell a young man of equal talent & ambition that he is free to audition for any of the corps he saw that night. Does it need to be like that?

Worth underscoring that you would have had to say the same thing to a young man whose gender identity did not match the sex assignment on their birth certificate, at least in regards to the Scouts.

Edited by crest99
clarity and accuracy
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

There are 22 WC corps in which a young man can march in. There are 21 WC corps in which a young woman can march in. I'll say it for the third time: if I take my band to a show and a talented young female trumpet player tells me she wants to march Cavies because she loved them, I tell her unfortunately she can't audition because she's a woman. I tell a young man of equal talent & ambition that he is free to audition for any of the corps he saw that night. Does it need to be like that?

Actually you’re forgetting the Open Class corps that are also part of DCI and women also audition for.

And your argument will work with me when I can take my young male student who really wanted to be a member of this years Crossmen guard or audition for Phantoms Guard many years. Or how about that young man that cried when he was told he could no longer march Crossmen because they’re going female this year and he had to audition for another corps. 

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

Let me sum up this thread for those that don't want to read 18 pages of talking in circles.

A. Some posters are in complete support of Madisons decision to be gender inclusive.

B. Some posters believe that regardless of this decision it will not fix the deeper issues in the organization.

C. Some posters are upset about this decision and think that it will be detrimental to the corps identity.

Groups A,B, and C argue with one another for 19 pages.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, GREENBLUE said:

Actually you’re forgetting the Open Class corps that are also part of DCI and women also audition for.

And your argument will work with me when I can take my young male student who really wanted to be a member of this years Crossmen guard or audition for Phantoms Guard many years. Or how about that young man that cried when he was told he could no longer march Crossmen because they’re going female this year and he had to audition for another corps. 

I agree that the guard for those years should be co-ed. For the male that could no longer march because a female beat him out in auditions, I'd tell him to practice.

Just now, ThePlanets said:

Let me sum up this thread for those that don't want to read 18 pages of talking in circles.

A. Some posters are in complete support of Madisons decision to be gender inclusive.

B. Some posters believe that regardless of this decision it will not fix the deeper issues in the organization.

C. Some posters are upset about this decision and think that it will be detrimental to the corps identity.

You might as well have written this as the OP.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Again, if there were not 40 other corps available for women to march I would agree to this statement. The Cavaliers being all male does not change the direction of the activity. And again I make the point...at any time dci and it’s fans would welcome an all female corps.

Would you support a hypothetical corps that only allowed whites if there were 40 other corps that allowed other races?

If not why is gender different for you?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Please see my previous two posts where I quoted you to respond and agreed with you on the guard points. As I've said twice now, no WC corps in 2019 should be excluding a talented, hard working kid with a good attitude based solely on the kid's gender. That includes Crossmen/Phantom guard, and that includes Cavies & Scouts. Accept kids into your summer tour based on their abilities & work ethic, not their gender. 

• Like 1

Just now, cybersnyder said:

I agree that the guard for those years should be co-ed. For the male that could no longer march because a female beat him out in auditions, I'd tell him to practice.

But that’s not the case.

it was simply you are a male. 

You marched with us last year. 

We’re no longer having males in our guard.

audition for another corps.

4 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I’m B.  

• Like 2