Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

Just now, jeffmolnar said:

SCV

That’s a great drum corps.  I would never want to change any Vanguard policy because I didn’t march there.  I DID march Cavaliers and we have no “mental anguish” over remaining all male.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Over dramatic much???

hey all you Cavaliers and parents of Cavaliers out there “Hope you never have a daughter or kids or a wife because you don’t want the corps to go co-ed”. Unbelievable.

That was directed specifically at you, but it's also applicable to the Cavalier crew at this point.

19 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

False equivalence due to many reasons that I'm sure have been explained to you countless times.

This is a good move for Madison, and yes, the Cavaliers will be next. Whether it's next year or next decade, it will happen. You can avoid tons of unnecessary mental anguish if you just accept that and move on with your life.

Guaranteed that there is a email thread circulating among their board right now.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Thank you for the thoughtful answer. 

So in your opinion was the problem the leadership and direction of the corps or the fact that the corps was all male???

100% leadership.  Nothing to do with gender.  I had already marched coed corps before going to Madison.  Going to Devs had nothing to do with gender.  It was more going to a place I knew would contract people due to talent not money (Madison 2009 contracted people because of need for monies, not necessarily just because they were the talent needed), and would treat me well.

Just now, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

That’s a great drum corps.  I would never want to change any Vanguard policy because I didn’t march there.  I DID march Cavaliers and we have no “mental anguish” over remaining all male.

You clearly have some mental anguish regarding the corps being co-ed though. That's what I was talking about.

It's inevitable that the corps will open up to all genders. You can avoid the heartache ahead of time by just accepting that what the corps does in the future can never take away or replace the experience you had while you were there. The fact is, it's not about you anymore. You will always have your memories. Let the kids have theirs.

• Like 2

If it does happen I hope to the high heavens that the Cavaliers staff handles it better then Madisons staff. I honestly feel bad for the current members as well as the Alums who may have not known or seen this coming. I definitely don’t agree with the timing because instead of this looking like a progressive move it comes across as desperation from the organization. A move like this needs planning, it needs an action plan. They are basically needing to rebrand the Madison Scouts after 80 (?) years, Not only to the public but also the kids auditioning next year. Stability is key to success in DCI. We shall see. But I don’t foresee immediate results.

4 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Guaranteed that there is a email thread circulating among their board right now.

Nah.  We’re too busy trying to win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, bullethead said:

How many people are still butt-hurt because the Cadets went Co-ed in 1969? Just wondering.....

Or butt-hurt for marching right foot first. j/k 🙂

Cheap attempt at levity.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jake W. said:

That was me! I don't really care one way or the other what happens with Cavies/Scouts on the all-male side of things, just providing a perspective, which ThePlanets reiterated. 

I'll point it out again: I'm fine with every corps doing what they feel is best for their organization, but it still rings a little hollow to me that if a top notch female student falls in love with the Cavies at a show and tells me she wants to audition, I have to tell her she can unfortunately audition for every corps except that one. If an equally talented male student of mine falls in love with Cavies at a show and says the same, I can tell him to audition for them or any other corps he thinks he might want to march with. It's just odd that in 2019 I can tell a talented male student he's free to audition & march with whoever he wants, but not an equally talented female student.

Thanks for your comments, ThePlanets! Nice to hear from someone who that actually affected by what I mentioned.

What if you were a HS drama teacher and you had a female student wanting to audition for a role in the local production of 12 Angry Men or Lord of the Flies? 

• Thanks 1