Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

Are people delusional?  They could not fill the corps this year without begging people to come back who weren’t marching elsewhere.   Many were told they would not need to pay tour fees.  Some were given complete “scholarships.”   That decision creates conflict (imagine if you pulled together the funds to march and at the last minute, some dude comes in without having to pay anything!) 

The decision to open membership to women is based in wanting to field a corps.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Are people delusional?  They could not fill the corps this year without begging people to come back who weren’t marching elsewhere.   Many were told they would not need to pay tour fees.  Some were given complete “scholarships.”   That decision creates conflict (imagine if you pulled together the funds to march and at the last minute, some dude comes in without having to pay anything!) 

The decision to open membership to women is based in wanting to field a corps.   

That’s what some of us have been saying all along. This decision was not out of choice but as a necessity. For them to claim anything else is insulting.

If it was hard putting together a membership for this year, I could only imagine how hard it would’ve been after this seasons result. Maybe they saved 2020 with this decision.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

I grew up wanting to do high kicks with the Rockettes . But those pesky ladies don’t accept any guys in their line.

i kid...I kid...but you get my point.

Thought I remembered seeing this:

1 minute ago, cybersnyder said:

Thought I remembered seeing this:

Great job!!! Never saw that. But the men are only guests not permanent, thus not considered to be a Rockette. Awesome video though.

22 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Why are you blanketing all boomers?  That is patently unfair. 

#NotAllBoomers is implied. But blanketing is probably also fair.

As a millennial, I’ve just had to get used to it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Why are you blanketing all boomers?  That is patently unfair. 

Unfortunately, I have seen several different versions of that statement today ("die mad boomers") across Facebook, Reddit and other platforms.  I understand the sentiment behind it, but it's doing absolutely nothing to bridge the gap between the different viewpoints/generations.  In fact, it's actually turned a couple people off today that had approached the situation with an open mind.

In an activity that is often reliant on donations, it seems odd to target the "boomers" that control roughly 70% of the disposable income in the United States.

1 minute ago, jeffmolnar said:

#NotAllBoomers is implied. But blanketing is probably also fair.

As a millennial, I’ve just had to get used to it.

Ok.  Keep beating the drum.  I’m done with this.  Life is too short for those of us who are being wished dead.  

• Like 2

Just now, rjohn76 said:

Unfortunately, I have seen several different versions of that statement today ("die mad boomers") across Facebook, Reddit and other platforms.  I understand the sentiment behind it, but it's doing absolutely nothing to bridge the gap between the different viewpoints/generations.  In fact, it's actually turned a couple people off today that had approached the situation with an open mind.

In an activity that is often reliant on donations, it seems odd to target the "boomers" that control roughly 70% of the disposable income in the United States.

Yeah, considering I just donated $600 to a corps yesterday. 

• Like 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Ok.  Keep beating the drum.  I’m done with this.  Life is too short for those of us who are being wished dead.  

He wasn’t wishing you dead. That’s a common expression.

• Like 2