Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

7 hours ago, skevinp said:

Someone recently said on reddit that the world will be a much better place when all the boomers are dead.  And yes, lots of talk about boomers today based on this situation, despite the fact that many boomers support the decision and many younger people oppose it.  In that kind of environment, irrational statements of this nature accompanied by a hostile tone are a little unsettling, to say the least.

And for the record, I don't expect MotoSurf really wants me dead.  My post was mostly a tongue in cheek observation of irony.  The frequency of these comments does get a little scary, though.  I can't run as fast as I used to.

This is interesting. I thought the baby boomers were the most progressive generation to date. Hello. Woodstock? 

Peace? Love?

Was it the boomers that fueled the change for gender inclusion in so many other corps?

• Like 1

Not seeing this fixing the bigger issues.  It's more like look over here.

19 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

I would agree with all this talk of inclusion and opportunity and the act of equality if there was no opportunity for young ladies to march elsewhere. But as we have it now there are close to 40 corps in DCI where the opportunity is given. The point was made that a young lady might want to march the Cavaliers because she likes the style/design of the corps. Did you stop and think that the reason the Cavaliers might have this style and swagger and design  and the reason she likes the corps so much is because it is all male??? This is their identity and it works for them. 

I’m tired of reading that the Cavaliers are chauvinist. Please. Move on. This is the furthest from the truth.

Splooiee...

Nope, nothing there...

• Confused 1

As a Boston supporter, I find that I am ambivalent about this change for Madison.  I personally have no problem with an all male (or all female) drum corps.  For that matter, I can recall a slew of corps in the 70's which were exclusive.  We had several all female corps here in the Boston area and from Quebec.  I can recall the CMCC Warriors from NY being all African American, and I'm quite sure there was a time when the Mandarins were all of Asian decent.  None of these were or are troublesome to me in that everyone has options.

Having said that, Madison is clearly in a struggle for its existence, and somebody has made the calculation that opening corps membership up to the other half of the population will help in that struggle.  Will I personally miss the Madison of old?  I already do. But, the new Madison Scouts (no need for a name change btw) is alot better than no Madison at all.  As somebody who cares deeply about my own 80 year old drum corps, I get it.  You do what you do to survive.  Then you sustain.  Then you return to contending.

Best of luck to the Madison Scouts!

• Like 2

I only skimmed the comments in this thread,so if this has been posted,I apologize.

Unless I missed it,Madison's announcement doesn't say anything like "effective in 2020".

So does that mean that,if the Scouts have a "hole",a female can audition for the rest of the season ?

11 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I’m afraid those aren’t good examples you cited. Think about how Hasidic and conservative Muslim communities interact with secular society. They avoid it at all costs and keep things amongst themselves which is totally their right.  I highly doubt they would let any of their children be a part of something like drum corps where they aren’t able to monitor their every interaction. 

I will agree one may be too far fetched for drum corps (the burka situation), one has happened with a high school band (the immodest uniform). Though unlikely, the third could happen. Yes, the Hasidim tend to stay close together and limit interactions with the outside world, but there is a small and potentially growing trend that Yashiva schools are not rigorous enough academically and parents are choosing public, charter, and even Catholic schools with intense religious training after school over Jewish day schools because the Judaism taught is watered down in their view. The children are joining school activities which has led to a situation not unlike the one I mentioned involving an honors orchestra. 

So this thread does not get too far derailed, when it comes to inclusion, situations are often unpredictable and unexpected. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

His opinion is that this move is a deflection by the BOD and executive director to place blame for their failures on ...  not being coed. I for one agree with that opinion. 

"Deflect" criticism by doing something they know will attract more criticism?

• Like 2

So I Read from page 1-10 and stopped because why torture yourself.. 

But in reading those pages you can definitely tell there are two types of people on this thread. One that someone feel somehow threatened by this move, and other that simply embrace it.. 

Recently in a Future of Drum Corps thread I predicted the end of All Male Corps, because simply in this day and age of equality there is no room for discrimination... And enforcing a rule that eliminated 50% of the population from joining your organization simply because of their Sex is discrimination.. 

And in this world, there is no room for Fraternistic teachings, There is no room for Men to be Men (in the old sense), because that is simply an awful horrible existence for Women, You have to teach boys growing up now that Women are to be treated with respect as TRUE equals, because in many cases they are the greater of the two.. (The USWNT is a clear example of that.) You cannot teach a boy how to be man without teaching a boy how to be a man around/towards women. 

Equality is a hard pill to swallow for those who are fearful of the power they will lose, but Equality is the only way forward, whether you want it or not. 

Talent pool just increased by 100%

I'm not sure there are any other more important considerations at this point...

Except... maybe... writing a good show for the talent.

Ehh. Let it be political for those that feel that everything under the sun should be.  Let it be practical for those that desire to see the corps improve their standing.

Edited by cfirwin3