Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

51 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I think I may need to clarify (again). Although I am not myself a baby boomer I think this generation fueled social change better than any other, certainly better than my generation. 

I'm confused with the sudden rage against baby boomers.

Did you go to Woodstock? That's really cool if you did! I was pulling for a Bluecoats Woodstock show...lol.

I think that some ridiculous out of line things have been posted on this thread but it has little to do with the age of the poster.

I was born in 1962, the tail end of the Baby Boom. When Woodstock took place, I was entering second grade, so I wasn’t there. 

At that time there were all boy corps, all girl, coed, and various combinations: young women in color guards only, young men as musicians, all male rifle lines, etc.

For many of the corps that went from all male to coed, gender equality as we think of it today was probably not an issue. Where drum corps was primarily a youth activity, they may have just wanted to open things up because there was a need for an activity for young women. Recruitment was a major reason too. Something that may have played a role was the draft. During Vietnam, if you were not in college, you got drafted, and if you were in college you probably had to work. 

To the best of my knowledge, none of the corps competing today started as an all girl corps. When many of these corps opened their membership to boys, they broke up soon after. As someone who grew up at the time this happened, a girl who joined a formerly all boy corps would be seen as a trailblazer, but I know from what happened with a local corps, but that did not seem to be the case with the all girls corps going coed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Nothing aggravated me more than someone that talented being stuck behind a prop for half of the show. The thing to do was to just suit her up and put her in the line.  

I said that all of last year. 

strange but true fact:

Madison's best and worst placement since 2000 had a female involved as a member...last year and the Carmen project in what 05? Goes to show what a capable staff can do......and what a not capable one can do

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

Well then, let's just tear down all fraternities, sororities, all male colleges, all female colleges, any associations or clubs because they are chauvinistic ...let's make everyone and everything all inclusive, take away any and all distinctions, uniqueness, tear down the evil patriarchy!!!!!!!!! 

I'm not so sure anyone is tearing anything down. Anything of value anyway. Does anyone seriously believe that pre-selecting (or prohibiting) based on gender is a good thing in this day and age in this activity? Or anywhere really. Let each stand on their merits, talent, character, honor, and tenacity. It's long overdue to take gender out of the equation. And I say this as a middle-aged white guy cloaked in all manner of privilege that I did not have anything to do with earning. It's high time that the girls and women who follow enjoy the same opportunities we men have had.  

Possibly some day we will live in a nation where we will not be judged by the shape of our hips, but by the content of our character. 

:whistle:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Whether one likes it or not, everything is political in some way or fashion. No way around it, under it or over it.

This move by the Scouts is disappointing for some and encouraging for others. However, none of that really matters. What really matters is how it not only affects the Scouts but how it affects DCI. From my point of view as a fan it could go either way. However, I would bet my money on that is will not be good for either in the long run.

38 minutes ago, GlenI said:

I'm not so sure anyone is tearing anything down. Anything of value anyway. Does anyone seriously believe that pre-selecting (or prohibiting) based on gender is a good thing in this day and age in this activity? Or anywhere really. Let each stand on their merits, talent, character, honor, and tenacity. It's long overdue to take gender out of the equation. And I say this as a middle-aged white guy cloaked in all manner of privilege that I did not have anything to do with earning. It's high time that the girls and women who follow enjoy the same opportunities we men have had.  

Possibly some day we will live in a nation where we will not be judged by the shape of our hips, but by the content of our character. 

Your virtue signaling is noted. You get a star. Now, if only this move had anything to do with equity and opportunity. It didn’t. It was about survival of the corps that was having trouble attracting marching members. Among other things (such as, attempting to provide cover for an administration that has failed). 

• Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, GlenI said:

Ask the men in Crossmens guard in 2018 that could not rejoin this year

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Your virtue signaling is noted. You get a star. Now, if only this move had anything to do with equity and opportunity. It didn’t. It was about survival of the corps that was having trouble attracting marching members. Among other things (such as, attempting to provide cover for an administration that has failed). 

Not looking for any stars. It would appear that the inevitable thing happened for a bad reason. I'll take it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Ask the men in Crossmens guard in 2018 that could not rejoin this year

That's just as bad. However it does illustrate that there is quite a bit of nuance in the gender discussion. 

1 minute ago, GlenI said:

That's just as bad. However it does illustrate that there is quite a bit of nuance in the gender discussion. 

well....if you want to get technical, whats good for the goose should be good for the gander. Social justice warriors will ignore that fact however.

and again, I'm not against the change per se. It does reek of desperation from an organization thats lost its way with leadership ignoring bigger issues, and the statements wording chucks Cavies totally under the bus.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

There was a movie released about 10 yrs ago (the name escapes me) about Bob Dylan, and the filmmaker decided to use 6 or 7 different actors to play the main role at different points in his life, including an African-American actor and also Cate Blanchett the actress. I remember it being quite interesting to watch for the risk-taking nature of it at the very least. It didn’t fare very well if I recall.

This is the film you're thinking of: