Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well....if you want to get technical, whats good for the goose should be good for the gander. Social justice warriors will ignore that fact however.

and again, I'm not against the change per se. It does reek of desperation from an organization thats lost its way with leadership ignoring bigger issues, and the statements wording chucks Cavies totally under the bus.

That’s assuming the historical power dynamics between the goose and gander have been equal. That was not the case previously, and it still isn’t the case now. Hence the nuance.

Regardless, the Crossmen guard situation is also crappy. 

Edited by jeffmolnar
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Let me sum up this thread for those that don't want to read 18 pages of talking in circles.

A. Some posters are in complete support of Madisons decision to be gender inclusive.

B. Some posters believe that regardless of this decision it will not fix the deeper issues in the organization.

C. Some posters are upset about this decision and think that it will be detrimental to the corps identity.

Groups A,B, and C argue with one another for 19 pages.

I think you can also believe A and B as I do, or I would think B and C as well. Jeez, Venn Diagram time. :satisfied:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigW said:

I think you can also believe A and B as I do, or I would think B and C as well. Jeez, Venn Diagram time. :satisfied:

Well yah... but I didn't want to type up that many categories.

All I really care about is what kind of show they do next season at this point. I just want something that is designed well, entertaining, and that still has that Scouts "vibe" to it. Allowing women into the corps doesn't mean they have to completely change that, and it even opens up more opportunities for them design-wise. If allowing women into the corps is the catalyst that gives the leadership an excuse to ditch the MS brand and become completely unrecognizable from their show design and music, then that is when I know the leadership is complete garbage. I've already had more patience here than most regarding CK and DP, but if they come out with a show next year that looks and sounds like it was designed for a completely different corps or some BOA band like last year's show then that's when I join the rest of the people calling for leadership changes. 

• Like 3

Should they turn the page and totally rebrand?  Maybe even change the name?  In a way, perhaps this could help bring closure by saying farewell to the Madison Scouts. And hello to a rebranded new Madison corps. It would remove the - quit changing my corps - feeling by letting the old Madison Scouts RIP.  And then it’s off to the future with the new Madison corps. 

Just a thought. It will be rousingly hated but hey, I enjoy the banter 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Should they turn the page and totally rebrand?  Maybe even change the name?  In a way, perhaps this could help bring closure by saying farewell to the Madison Scouts. And hello to a rebranded new Madison corps. It would remove the - quit changing my corps - feeling by letting the old Madison Scouts RIP.  And then it’s off to the future with the new Madison corps. 

Just a thought. It will be rousingly hated but hey, I enjoy the banter 

The Capital Sound name is available.

I'm glad they made the move even if our assumptions of WHY they made the move are all over the place. I respect the tradition, I truly do. Madison has always been one of my favorite corps. But it NEVER had anything to do with it being all male. They need new blood in the corps in not only the MM population but also in the staff population. I'm sure there are folks out there who are MORE than qualified for positions in key staff roles who have not applied because they didn't want to fight the perceived bias of an all-male corps. Whether that bias is deserved or not, I don't think anyone can argue that it most likely exists. 

Again, I respect the tradition. Going "co-ed" does not IMHO diminish that proud history. If anything, it shows that an organization is willing to add to that history and create new and even better traditions. Whatever their reasons are, I wish them all the success in the world. I will not forget their past great moments and I hope to see many more great moments in the future. This change (at least on the surface,) gives them a chance to expand and grow. 

Good luck Madison and I hope to see you in the top 12 again very soon.  

• Like 1