Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

Perhaps... But it also saves time in the long run by avoiding extensive explanation for those that are blind to it.  'Sarcasm Blindness' is an environmental hazard of Internet chat forums.

And SO many times it's missed and is the root of contention that blows up threads.

We need a sarcasm emoji...still.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Should they turn the page and totally rebrand?  Maybe even change the name?  In a way, perhaps this could help bring closure by saying farewell to the Madison Scouts. And hello to a rebranded new Madison corps. It would remove the - quit changing my corps - feeling by letting the old Madison Scouts RIP.  And then it’s off to the future with the new Madison corps. 

Just a thought. It will be rousingly hated but hey, I enjoy the banter 

I don't know.  It seems to me that the name is their one good recruiting asset at the moment.  Dumping the name is like creating a whole new organization that must start at the bottom.  Keeping the name means that they should be able to pull disproportionate talent... but they need to write a show for the talent.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if fans that are not invested in the corps hate what they do.  It only matters if their faithful donors hate it.

• Thanks 1

Garfield Cadets never changed their name after allowing girls in the corps. So I don’t think there’s any reason to change the name. Before I marched in Madison in the 80s I came from a coed corps and many of those girls that I marched with went on to be top quality players in other horn lines such as Santa Clara, Phantom regiment, Suncoast Sound, Garfield Cadets, etc.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

Garfield Cadets never changed their name after allowing girls in the corps. So I don’t think there’s any reason to change the name. Before I marched in Madison in the 80s I came from a coed corps and many of those girls that I marched with went on to be top quality players in other horn lines such as Santa Clara, Phantom regiment, Suncoast Sound, Garfield Cadets, etc.

I was being sarcastic about Capital Sound.  I guess I need to use more emojis. 😉😉😉😉😉😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

Oh thank you, sir.  Thank you so much!  Until this very moment I earnestly believed that no man in the world could have made the US women's soccer team, but boy did you show me.  I'm sure that during their fun practice match against children, their only true objective was to score more goals, and that they were more committed to that objective than to winning the World Cup.  It isn't possible that I was merely paying them a compliment and recognizing their achievement in a fun way.

Following Cappy's suggestion here.  We'll see how it goes..

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

There have been corps such as Racine Scouts and Yokohama Scouts that kept the "Scouts" name while also being coed. I don't think there's any need to change the name, especially ever since BSA allowed women to join last year.

I seem to remember when all girls corps went coed, the name changed, but so many had “ettes” at the end of their name: Jeanette’s, Joanettes, Fire-ettes, or were specific female names: St. Ignatius Girls, Catholic Daughters of America. While I do not believe any of these corps went coed, the name change of some all girls corps that went coed is understandable. As I write this, Arbella of Salem, MA may have gone coed in their final years, or at least planned on it prior to their folding, but Arbella was named after the Arabella that carried the Puritans to Salem. 

Since there are Boy Scouts and Girl Scott and where the BSA allows young women, a name change would not be necessary.

Does this move come with a change of leadership? If not, you're just going to to have a mediocre co-ed drum corps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Your virtue signaling is noted. You get a star. Now, if only this move had anything to do with equity and opportunity. It didn’t. It was about survival of the corps that was having trouble attracting marching members. Among other things (such as, attempting to provide cover for an administration that has failed). 

My cynical take on it is that there will be no administrative shakeup because this is such a big move and will need to be shepherded through by the current admin who made the decision. How convenient. 

Also, you loooooove that phrase “virtue signaling”. Lol

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Should they turn the page and totally rebrand?  Maybe even change the name?  In a way, perhaps this could help bring closure by saying farewell to the Madison Scouts. And hello to a rebranded new Madison corps. It would remove the - quit changing my corps - feeling by letting the old Madison Scouts RIP.  And then it’s off to the future with the new Madison corps. 

Just a thought. It will be rousingly hated but hey, I enjoy the banter 

Agree. Retire the Madison Scouts name and completely rebrand. This is a fundamental change -- 80+ years of history and tradition are over and done with, so bury it. This will now become just another generic DCI corps with no identity that sets them apart from the rest of the crowd. Wear a different theme appropriate costume every year, incorporate lots of big props, play music only college music majors are familiar with and enjoy, design shows for the judges. Apparently, that's what most people want today. Drum corps has evolved into a completely different activity that is unrecognizable to long-time fans. So do whatever you have to do to blend in and compete with the other modern day corps. Just start the new era with a new name. 

On 7/7/2019 at 4:02 PM, bullethead said:

How many people are still butt-hurt because the Cadets went Co-ed in 1969? Just wondering.....

and Golden Knights in 71.  but they didn't survive