Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

9 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I think more people will be p***ed off if the corps changes their name than going co-ed. 

Most definitely.  Especially because there is absolutely no need to change the name.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Since there are Boy Scouts and Girl Scott and where the BSA allows young women, a name change would not be necessary.

My point had nothing to do with the “necessity” to change the name due to Boy Scouts / Girl Scouts. Rather I was pondering whether a name change could be a way for the organization to turn the page. Leave behind the old. Usher in the new. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

My cynical take on it is that there will be no administrative shakeup because this is such a big move and will need to be shepherded through by the current admin who made the decision. How convenient.

Also, you loooooove that phrase “virtue signaling”. Lol

I’m too lazy to go find other ways to state it. You’re right. Now get off my lawn. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BozzlyB said:

Does this move come with a change of leadership? If not, you're just going to to have a mediocre co-ed drum corps. 

That’s what I’m afraid of happening.  Being all-inclusive is just fine but without some foundational changes and a solid plan for the future....  Hey, maybe this is all in the works.  Who knows?  Big time staff usually takes big time cash. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (and this being DCP, someone surely will), but I believe when my kids joined their Corps (Crown and SOA), their contracts mentioned Explorer Scouts who (I believe) have been co-ed longer than the Boy Scouts "division".

Does Madison have a similar connection? I know, we could just be using BSA as a generic catchall term in this discussion. 

6 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (and this being DCP, someone surely will), but I believe when my kids joined their Corps (Crown and SOA), their contracts mentioned Explorer Scouts who (I believe) have been co-ed longer than the Boy Scouts "division".

Does Madison have a similar connection? I know, we could just be using BSA as a generic catchall term in this discussion. 

you're not wrong - many drum corps started out as "boy scout troops" affiliated with BSA for insurance and liability/benefits purposes. Crown was one of those - not sure about SOA but probably. I do not know the current Madison affiliation (if any) with BSA but this set up has always included coed groups along with traditional BSA troops

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I remember, back in a different era, when the Scouts were announced as "The Madison Explorer Scouts."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2019 at 1:19 PM, Jake W. said:

Right but there is still a place women can’t march. Men can march everywhere. 

Except this year's Crossmen guard and the Phantom guard in certain years.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:34 PM, GREENBLUE said:

Right now men aren’t on the cover of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition.

Can we ... can we change that? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1