Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

34 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Take it for what it's worth, but a friend's son (also gay) has been marching with Cavaliers for a couple of years, and has nothing but good things to say about the culture and how comfortable he feels there. Things change.

Well, two decades ago is very different from today. As evidenced by their Cavalier rainbow shirts they are selling this season (I bought the shirt!), I'm sure it's not much an issue these days as it was back then. 

However, I still think all-male corps are unnecessary. That's why I'm happy for the Madison Scouts! 

Edited by Rylan

10 minutes ago, Rylan said:

Well, two decades ago is very different from today. As evidenced by their Cavalier rainbow shirts they are selling this season (I bought the shirt!), I'm sure it's not much an issue these days as it was back then. 

However, I still think all-male corps are unnecessary. That's why I'm happy for the Madison Scouts! 

But the Cavies' rainbow didn't really start with the LBGXYZ movement, nor even with the Wizard of Oz. 

Hope and Promise were the words Don Warren would use. (Cf. Gen. 9:12-17.) Don Warren in  post-WWII Chicago  was like Noah moving forward from the Ark. Your issues today were not the overriding political agendae when the corps adopted the song decades ago. It's one reason the corps outlasted the peaks and valleys of trends and fad thinking over the many years.

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

54 pages in with lots of testaments to brotherhood, bonds, fraternity, and so forth.  But I have still not seen anyone identify any virtues of those things that are specific to being the same gender.

I can propose one virtue:  elimination of the distractions caused by romantic entanglements and attentions (for the most part).

7 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I can propose one virtue:  elimination of the distractions caused by romantic entanglements and attentions (for the most part).

Also allows males to attempt some roles larger society presumes are feminine (art, dance, guard, for example; there are probably others). Professional Studies of all girl high schools point to this aspect of "freedom to explore and step beyond imposed boundaries of stereotype and presumption" as a motivation to maintain the option of single-sex educational possibilities, i.e., not seeing the glass as half-empty as if exclusion but rather as half-full with the opportunity of new adventures. The Jill and Johnny One-Notes insisting that must be allowed to join each and every corps just because they want won't be able to see this past their tunnel vision.  Pretty soon they will be telling Crown and BD that faculty can't impose audition requirements because Jill and Johnny want to belong.

Edited by xandandl

6 minutes ago, Eleran said:

If that is the goal then I guarantee you that every single sex drum corps has failed at achieving it

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

If that is the goal then I guarantee you that every single sex drum corps has failed at achieving it

I may or may not have failed at this as well. 😉

1 hour ago, ndkbass said:

Also, as an academic 

Now I get it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2