Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

8 minutes ago, Jofus said:

Some suggest health and social benefits of male peer bonding including increased pain threshold, lower stress, increased altruism, social bonding with others, and increased loyalty.
Interesting article below talks of "bromances" but it's extrapolated from studies on rat group "stress-bonding" producing increased oxytocin levels in the subjects. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/what-mentally-strong-people-dont-do/201604/the-surprising-benefits-the-bromance

That sounds basically like a "foxhole" theory in a nutshell.  But that would not be limited to just men.  It seems that the larger issue is the shared stress environment.

6 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

That sounds basically like a "foxhole" theory in a nutshell.  But that would not be limited to just men.  It seems that the larger issue is the shared stress environment.

I'm not so sure. This is completely anecdotal, so take from this what you will. I did Marine Corps recruit training in an all-male platoon, and I made significant deep bonds with those guys. We ate, ####, showered, and slept together, and in that we got the opportunities to share some deep emotions and thoughts. I went through combat training and embassy security training in co-ed units. While I formed similarly strong bonds with the male Marines I was quartered with (many of whom I still keep up with to this day), I did not form the same kind of relationships with the females. I feel the same way about the phenomenal women I marched next to in the Cadets, who all have my deepest and sincerest respect, but the relationships are not as deep as the men I grew close to. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

What do you get? That I hold a union card (a Ph.D.) as an expert in the field of certain kinds of study?  That I believe in expertise in helping to determine the accuracy of speech on subjects which one has studied in detail and been deemed by their peers as an expert in (i.e., the faculty who served on my graduate committees and voted their confidence in my particular skill set)?  That I am certified to teach at the collegiate level and produce knowledge through the peer-review publication process?  If that is what you get, then cool!  Thanks for understanding and championing the academy.  But, if you are speaking sarcastically, please explain more concretely what, exactly, it is that you now "get" after I identified myself as a member of the academy to help qualify my claims.

And a PhD too. Now I Really get it. Perhaps for starters you could take yourself a tad less seriously. I’m a degreed nuclear engineer. I’ll stack up my credentials against yours any day. But that would be the OPPOSITE of the teaching moment, which is that we should all strive to act justly, love kindness, and walk humbly. And no those aren’t my words. I just try to live up to them. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jofus said:

I'm not so sure. This is completely anecdotal, so take from this what you will. I did Marine Corps recruit training in an all-male platoon, and I made significant deep bonds with those guys. We ate, ####, showered, and slept together, and in that we got the opportunities to share some deep emotions and thoughts. I went through combat training and embassy security training in co-ed units. While I formed similarly strong bonds with the male Marines I was quartered with (many of whom I still keep up with to this day), I did not form the same kind of relationships with the females. I feel the same way about the phenomenal women I marched next to in the Cadets, who all have my deepest and sincerest respect, but the relationships are not as deep as the men I grew close to. 

Noted.  I have never gone through military training, but my anecdotal experience of drum corps includes close relationships with many people regardless of race/ethnicity, gender identity/biological sex/sexual orientation, class background, national origin, and religious faith.  Does not mean you are right and I am wrong or vice versa, just means we both experienced different things.  As far as I know, military units are still segregated by sex during basic training, but I believe the Marines have had test platoons that were integrated, and are planning on integrating all training in the near future.  Would need to check sources on that though.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2019 at 1:58 PM, George Dixon said:

well I believe the decision has a LOT to do with the financial health of the organization and I manage a very large business

Edited by Prsmpower4

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

And a PhD too. Now I Really get it. Perhaps for starters you could take yourself a tad less seriously. I’m a degreed nuclear engineer. I’ll stack up my credentials against yours any day. But that would be the OPPOSITE of the teaching moment, which is that we should all strive to act justly, love kindness, and walk humbly. And no those aren’t my words. I just try to live up to them. 

I am sorry, but I do not understand your point.  As a degreed nuclear engineer, you would know much more than me about that field, since that is not what any of my degrees are in.  I would hope and expect you take yourself and your knowledge of nuclear engineering seriously, because if you did not or do not that would end up with something like Chernobyl (which was part poor reactor design and part poor reactor management).  The teaching moment is about ensuring accuracy of speech in a given field.  Students can think whatever of me (and you are free to as well), I am not there to be their friend.  I am there to help give them the tools necessary to think critically about a given topic so they can be better participants in our representative democracy.  You cannot go into an astronomy classroom and say "the giant glow-orb" instead of "the sun" and expect to pass the class.

Striving to "act justly, love kindness, and walk humbly" is a noble virtue, but I fail to see how that is connected to expertise.  Are you trying to say that you are staging an intervention to teach me how to "act justly, love kindness, and walk humbly"?  Because if so, would that not also include accepting more people into Madison ("love kindness," i.e., love thy neighbor), and "humbly" agreeing with their decision to "act justly" to transpeople and women?  Last I checked MYNWA means May You Never Walk Alone.  It does not mean men-only.  It means all those who have sacrificed together will never be alone in life since we/they shared the same experience (or stress environment of tour), and thus enjoy the bonds of those trials and tribulations.

33 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

Oh for sure.  Neither does racism end in an integrated corps.  Since both issues are epidemic societally, I have noticed it everywhere I have been in one form or another.

"...epidemic..."?

I think the definitional presumption is part of the reply characterization you're getting.

Just a guess?

14 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

If someone with no education in nuclear engineering tried to explain nuclear engineering to you how seriously would you take them?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, garfield said:

"...epidemic..."?

I think the definitional presumption is part of the reply characterization you're getting.

Just a guess?

Could be.  But I stand by that definition.  I was raised in the Northeast, and as much as people like to think it was/is a better place than the South, Boston is still one of the most racist cities out there.  I just lived in the Pacific Northwest for five years, and the smokestack of Idaho has, per capita, one of the highest amounts of white supremacists.  It is definitely a widespread issue, and it is also my area of expertise in the academy, so I feel pretty comfortable making that claim any day of the week.

5 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

If someone with no education in nuclear engineering tried to explain nuclear engineering to you how seriously would you take them?

Exactly my point!

• Like 1