Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

11 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

Exactly my point!

he gets that way with anyone with a title. I mean my title is Head ######## of DCP, and he hates me too

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

he gets that way with anyone with a title. I mean my title is Head ######## of DCP, and he hates me too

Hah! I have noticed it in the past, but I guess just never been on the receiving end of it before.

19 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Is there a way to mute entire topics?

Asking for a friend.

Yup, it's called not clicking on the little link that has this topic's name on it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2019 at 12:49 PM, Incognito365 said:

Because this doesn't happen with every corps.

Edited by BozzlyB

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Now I get it. 

That’s a big 10-4, Good Buddy; hence my comment about 6 pages back which he eschewed with “intelligence signaling.” 

I judge indoor music competitions here in Hawaii which use a slate of two (myself and usually a guest flown in from the Mainland.) Three guest judges have included the Director of Bands at IU, a top-flight composer from NYC, and the asst director of bands at UH. All had PhD’s and more formal music education I can contemplate. But, what did they all have in common? Answer: -** They had never judged before. ** They paid attention to my tape commentary, and asked me great questions. I reviewed their sheets with them. They were like sponges, even though I’m “just” a commoner with Masters degrees in a completely unrelated field and no formal Music Ed. I’m further handicapped in that I’m not a musician, I’m a trombone player. But I’ve been doing it for decades, and that’s the knowledge the guest judges utterly valued. In kind, I learned a lot during the clinics, when they were more in their natural element.

A debate based upon “I know more than you” where academic credentials and alphabet soup after one’s name are waved about isn’t a debate. 

We all know things; some of us just choose to trumpet it at pianissimo, not blastissimo. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TRacer said:

That’s a big 10-4, Good Buddy; hence my comment about 6 pages back which he eschewed with “intelligence signaling.” 

I judge indoor music competitions here in Hawaii which use a slate of two (myself and usually a guest flown in from the Mainland.) Three guest judges have included the Director of Bands at IU, a top-flight composer from NYC, and the asst director of bands at UH. All had PhD’s and more formal music education I can contemplate. But, what did they all have in common? Answer: -** They had never judged before. ** They paid attention to my tape commentary, and asked me great questions. I reviewed their sheets with them. They were like sponges, even though I’m “just” a commoner with Masters degrees in a completely unrelated field and no formal Music Ed. I’m further handicapped in that I’m not a musician, I’m a trombone player. But I’ve been doing it for decades, and that’s the knowledge the guest judges utterly valued. In kind, I learned a lot during the clinics, when they were more in their natural element.

A debate based upon “I know more than you” where academic credentials and alphabet soup after one’s name are waved about isn’t a debate. 

We all know things; some of us just choose to trumpet it at pianissimo, not blastissimo. 

I love you.

One if my kids is also not a musician. Just a trombone player. And he doesn’t even play in a real band, just the Wisconsin marching band. He doesn’t even know what simultaneous demand is, let alone do it. But he soldiers on 7 Saturdays every fall in front of 80,000 plus, with another annual appearance at Lambeau Field. The superior music majors look down their noses at the substandard product. But his peers enjoy the heck out of it. 

I don’t know what a PhD in understanding what people mean when they talk is all about. But I’m sure it’s great. I wonder if it negates any interpersonal skills I’ve developed as a father and husband, and on the job. I guess it must. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jofus said:

Interesting article below talks of "bromances" but it's extrapolated from studies on rat group "stress-bonding" producing increased oxytocin levels in the subjects. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/what-mentally-strong-people-dont-do/201604/the-surprising-benefits-the-bromance

I know there's a joke in here ...

Moderate Stress-Induced Social Bonding and Oxytocin Signaling are Disrupted by Predator Odor in Male Rats

" Rats were restrained in Decapicone bags (Braintree Scientific, Braintree, MA) and cagemates were placed together in a cage inside a fume hood (0900–1200 hours). For the immobilization+fox urine and immobilization+peppermint groups, a cotton ball infused with 1 ml of fox urine or peppermint extract was placed in the cage. Fox urine was used in a separate hood in a separate room from peppermint. After immobilization, cagemates were both returned to their home cage at the same time. "

Lol I always say I’m not a musician I’m a note player. IOW I see a note on a sheet of paper I know what valves to push and that’s it. But started out as a trombone player so maybe that’s the real problem lol.

Have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science from 40 years ago so about everything from then is obsolete. Once in a while someone tries to get in a whizzing contest because they went to a name school and I attended a state one. My usual response is to ask what have they done (or what have they learned) since then.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, TRacer said:

I am sorry, but when did I ever respond to you in this thread (supposedly six pages back; the only one I found was when you made a snarky comment about academics and "virtue signaling," but you were not responding to me)?  Also, what doe you mean by "intelligence signaling"?

Second, maybe it is not supposed to be a debate.  A conversation between an expert and non-expert is not necessarily a debate, by the very nature of one person being an expert in the field and another not.  Just like I said to HockeyDad that I am not a nuclear engineer, and would not claim to be able to debate him about nuclear engineering, something I have never studied and know almost nothing about.

Yes, we all may know some things, but that does not mean that what we/you know is correct, accurate, or appropriately sourced information.  That is what experts are for, and academics, whether you like them or not, are trained experts in their fields of expertise.  As I have mentioned before, my expertise is in studying systems and structures of inequality.  So, my willingness to engage in that area on "blastissimo" should not be seen as a problem, but rather an asset to the conversation.  You are also conflating a music educator with an adjudicator.  Someone who has a Ph.D. in music theory may not necessarily be able to adjudicate marching technique because that is not in their area of expertise.  Sure, wisdom is not necessarily always learned, but gained via experience, which, if you have judged so much you surely have in regards to judging the activity, but that is not the same thing as knowledge.  And you are not just a commoner if you have a master's degree.  That means you have graduate level education, and are well removed from the standard level of education in this country.  You also seem to point out this difference when you say you learned a lot from the music folks with Ph.D.'s in their clinics.  So, it seems that you are suggesting, like I am, that expertise matters, and is important.  You were/are an expert at judging, they were at teaching.  Those are totally different things.  HockeyDad is an expert (if I can use that term) at nuclear engineering.  I am an expert in studying inequality based on race/ethnicity, gender, ability, sexuality, class, etc.  That is what I do for a living.  Sorry if that upsets you when I decide to share what I have learned and use my title to qualify my claims.

Edited by ndkbass
corrected spelling
  • Like 1