Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

as an alum - I am ok with this -

I really hope they are able to attract talent and get strong in brass and guard - drumline not a problem

so many kids are looking for an opportunity, if they manage this right, they should come out of this stronger --

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That wasn’t what returned the Cadets to greatness however with all due respect to my sisters in drum corps.  Bringing in great staff is what led them to the level of success they began achieving in the 80’s. 

I’m fine with Scouts going coed as long as they hire high profile staff with coattails who members are clamoring to learn under.  Because that’s the solution. 

Agreed. It’s not that i don’t have faith in the decision. its...i don’t have faith in the people that made the decision. The people running the Madison Scouts need to take a long hard look in the mirror. The decision made affected decades of membership. I just hope they made the decision for the right reasons but in my heart I’m feeling they’re using this as an scapegoat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, LoveKathyG said:

Read “The Art of Community.”   Author Charles Vogel talks about the seven principles for building and maintaining community and belonging.  He makes the point that every community has membership boundaries.  It’s through those boundaries that identity is created.  Without the boundaries, the community ceases to know who, what and why it is, and it will fail   

I think what many are saying is that the boundary of male membership is so core to Scouts that the Scouts community will fail.  And I think that’s absolutely right.  It will fail.  Scouts as we now know them will fail.  The question is whether a new community with new membership boundaries that will call itself the Madison Scouts but have totally different boundaries can thrive in its place.  That’s the scary part.  In an era where there are plenty of other Corps with established communities and in-tact membership boundaries, it’s going to be difficult sell for the Scouts.  In essence, they are a new organization.  

You heard it here folks! Scouts failed because they're all male. Guess the Cavaliers will be failing next year too!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That wasn’t what returned the Cadets to greatness however with all due respect to my sisters in drum corps.  Bringing in great staff is what led them to the level of success they began achieving in the 80’s. 

I’m fine with Scouts going coed as long as they hire high profile staff with coattails who members are clamoring to learn under.  Because that’s the solution. 

I completely get you.  It was a humorous (I hope) observation that the sky is not falling.  I understand there were people back in the day who opposed the same move by the Cadets.

Nevertheless, tell those Cadet boys to shave!  I had to, so they should too!!

• Like 1

Just now, jordsterr said:

I completely get you.  It was a humorous (I hope) observation that the sky is not falling.  I understand there were people back in the day who opposed the same move by the Cadets.

Nevertheless, tell those Cadet boys to shave!  I had to, so they should too!!

Oh hell, I was pointed toward the guard room when I walked into the Skokie American Legion post in September 1971.  I said nope.  I’m here to play the French Horn bugle and I’ll show you I can do it if you let me.  All I had to do was play and I was in. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jake W. said:

My only point on this: it’s bothered me a bit over the last few years that if I were to have a female student come to me and say she wanted to march Cavaliers or Madison Scouts because she loved what either one was doing on the field, she couldn’t. Just because she’s a young woman, no other reason. I’d have to tell her to audition for any other corps she wanted to, it just couldn’t be either of those. Yet I could encourage a male student in the same situation to feel free to audition for whichever corps he fell in love with.

Yes. Cavaliers were king when I was age eligible (roughly 01-07). I knew I could never be a part of that and it was hurtful especially when you are raised to believe women can do anything they want.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think this is a good move for the Scouts. I think it will help with recruitment but for the move to work the Corps also needs to move into the present with show design. I don't know the particulars of the other problems the Corps has internally but getting into the present with design is essential. I love the show this year, it's fun but it's not going to move the Corps back into Finals. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Oh hell, I was pointed toward the guard room when I walked into the Skokie American Legion post in September 1971.  I said nope.  I’m here to play the French Horn bugle and I’ll show you I can do it if you let me.  All I had to do was play and I was in. 

Excellent!  

• Thanks 1

Hey gang, what's going on in this thread... Oh.

giphy.gif

• Haha 5