Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

Alright y'all, the **** is getting deep in here.

Thank God I already have my ****kickers on!

I'm gonna head towards the door. Have fun!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

The ratio of these type posts to actual rant posts so far is about 5 to zero. 

All the better. (I’m just here for the entertainment, really. And I don’t mean that pejoratively.) I wasn’t so much expecting rants (though I knew there would be some) but more along the lines of 100 pages by midnight. We shall see.

As for myself— I’m fairly ambivalent, to be honest. I didn’t march there and feel that they should be able to do whatever they feel is right for their corps.

37 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Yes. Cavaliers were king when I was age eligible (roughly 01-07). I knew I could never be a part of that and it was hurtful especially when you are raised to believe women can do anything they want- except have a DCI ring.

There are plenty of females with dci rings. Past, present and future.Cut me a break.

actually there are plenty of males without dci championship rings.

Edited by GREENBLUE

18 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I'm sorry, but you made it out like you couldn't have gotten a ring during those years, and the fact is you could have. You also act like winning was your only reason for wanting to do DCI, when in fact the education of it should have came first, winning second. Which further proves that the Madison Scouts going co-ed will fix nothing because do you honestly think that these kids are going to receive the best music education from the team that has brought us "Majestic"? Based on what I saw from the Zionsville show, I'm gonna say no.

Nah. I was replying to a previous post about an educator possibly having to tell his talented female students that could be big scouts or Cavies fans they had to go somewhere else. I liked the 00s Cavies and I knew I could never be a part of that so I can relate. That's all.

I'm not pushing for either to change as they are private organizations and I believe for their own freedom and autonomy and forced inclusion would violate that.

As this is about the scouts- my simple statement is with the boy scouts being gender inclusive I am not surprised with the change. I think they can easily continue to produce some of the most fun, in your face, fan friendly shows.

Edited by ThePlanets

1 minute ago, GREENBLUE said:

There are plenty of females with dci rings. Past, present and future.Cut me a break.

actually there are plenty of males without dci championship rings.

Edited the last part of my statement because it was taken a lot farther than I intended it to.

Took out the "get a ring" as I  wasn't trying to start WWIII- just trying to make a point about not being eligible to be a part of the "best corps" for ladies my age.

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Most certainly agree. Seems to be a drastic reaction to a temporary situation. Might have some value in the short term but not long term. Did anyone ever ask what makes the Scouts special? The answer to that question may very well have been the better solution to a temporary problem. 

Because of how DCI splits earnings, at some point you just can’t continue to run the Scouts if you don’t make Finals. 

And Scouts probably aren’t making Finals this year.

And they probably can’t recruit enough males to compete right now, especially with new world class corps like Music City and Genesis now in World Class, and Mandarins fighting for one of those last slots. You can’t compete if the vast majority of your experienced marchers are moving up instead of staying put.

As with most big problems, the solution is likely not one thing. But if Scouts hopes to survive, it seems they have to do something drastic, fast. If they make Finals next year, it wont much matter how many females are in their ranks. And if they miss Finals, it may not matter either way...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Nah. I was replying to a previous post about an educator possibly having to tell his talented female students that could be big scouts or Cavies fans they had to go somewhere else. I liked the 00s Cavies and I knew I could never be a part of that so I can relate. That's all.

I'm not pushing for either to change as they are private organizations and I believe for their own freedom and autonomy and forced inclusion would violate that.

That was me! I don't really care one way or the other what happens with Cavies/Scouts on the all-male side of things, just providing a perspective, which ThePlanets reiterated. 

I'll point it out again: I'm fine with every corps doing what they feel is best for their organization, but it still rings a little hollow to me that if a top notch female student falls in love with the Cavies at a show and tells me she wants to audition, I have to tell her she can unfortunately audition for every corps except that one. If an equally talented male student of mine falls in love with Cavies at a show and says the same, I can tell him to audition for them or any other corps he thinks he might want to march with. It's just odd that in 2019 I can tell a talented male student he's free to audition & march with whoever he wants, but not an equally talented female student.

Thanks for your comments, ThePlanets! Nice to hear from someone who that actually affected by what I mentioned.

Edited by Jake W.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You know who I feel most terrible for upon hearing this news?  Scott Stewart.

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

That was me! I don't really care one way or the other what happens with Cavies/Scouts on the all-male side of things, just providing a perspective, which ThePlanets reiterated. 

I'll point it out again: I'm fine with every corps doing what they feel is best for their organization, but it still rings a little hollow to me that if a top notch female student falls in love with the Cavies at a show and tells me she wants to audition, I have to tell her she can unfortunately audition for every corps except that one & Scouts. If an equally talented male student of mine falls in love with Cavies at a show and says the same, I can tell him to audition for them or any other corps he thinks he might want to march with. It's just odd that in 2019 I can tell a talented male student he's free to audition & march whoever he wants, but not an equally talented female student.

Thanks for your comments, ThePlanets! Nice to hear from someone who that actually affected by what I mentioned.

But your talented male student can’t march Crossmen Color Guard or many years Phantom Color Guard. How about basically getting kicked out of the corps the next year after marching phantom or Crossmen because you’re a male and the corps is going in a new direction with their guard to all female. Hypocrisy? 

Oh wait .... that’s okay because it’s a design choice.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3