Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

I’m not going to add too much more to the discussion because I’ve expressed my opinion. However, I’d like to quote a post Michael Boo made somewhere else: “Drum Corps needs the Madison Scouts, whatever form the organization takes on.” Even if you agree or disagree with their decision, drum corps would not be the same if the Madison Scouts were gone. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

It's very important to me that private nonprofits be able to choose their membership and missions as they think best serves them. Even if I don't like their choices. I don't think others should dictate either (membership or missions) based on their own preferences.

What makes this decision so fuzzy is that it has been made at a time when there seem to be other concerns regarding strategy and leadership for the Scouts - both as a nonprofit and as a drum corps. So several issues are getting fused and confused. I think it's a solid point that the Scouts' recruiting problem is not due to being all male. It's also a good argument that going co-ed isn't the solution to recruiting or to the quality of their product on the field.

Are there other strategies forming, or now put in place, for returning the Scouts to some greater success as a corps? I've no idea. (Seems like a lot of speculation, though some folks on DCP may well have accurate inside info.) This is a BOD and ED thing. Great if they could communicate their plans well. But they're under no obligation to tell all of us what they're up to. That doesn't mean there aren't consequences to not communicating, especially for development of their alumni stakeholders.

Sums the situation up perfectly including the non profit membership. best read of the day.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, hc6434ot said:

I’m not going to add too much more to the discussion because I’ve expressed my opinion. However, I’d like to quote a post Michael Boo made somewhere else: “Drum Corps needs the Madison Scouts, whatever form the organization takes on.” Even if you agree or disagree with their decision, drum corps would not be the same if the Madison Scouts were gone. 

This can be said for a countless number of corps. Where do we start? Michael!!!! To me he’s saying he doesn’t want Madison to become another remember when organization. Unfortunately that’s not a given. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

If it does happen I hope to the high heavens that the Cavaliers staff handles it better then Madisons staff. I honestly feel bad for the current members as well as the Alums who may have not known or seen this coming. I definitely don’t agree with the timing because instead of this looking like a progressive move it comes across as desperation from the organization. A move like this needs planning, it needs an action plan. They are basically needing to rebrand the Madison Scouts after 80 (?) years, Not only to the public but also the kids auditioning next year. Stability is key to success in DCI. We shall see. But I don’t foresee immediate results.

DCI Corps using strategic communications strategies (or if they have them using them well) is not something we have seen much of over the past 18 months. 

I do not see why Madison's decision should in any way implicate what Cavies should or should not do. The Cavies are able to govern themselves as they see fit based on their own history, strategy and governance. If they chose to do nothing (stay all-male) they are entitled to that choice. Madison's choice is Madison's choice (made by their board which is their right to do). I do not see this as any grand societal gesture of inclusion and more of a move to try to changes directions on an organization going in the wrong one. The debate should be about Madison's choice. The Cavies have nothing to do with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I think we all should trust that the BOD is making this decision to protect the Scouts for the future.  I was involved in the decision to take Boy Scouts coed, and it was necessary both because of concerns with enrollment but also because of mounting legal challenges that were threatening the future of the organization.  Some were unhappy with the decision and left, but most stayed the course and helped lead the organization through the change.

Change creates opportunity.  Pick up a copy of “Who Moved My Cheese” and find a way to support the Scouts in their new journey!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hc6434ot said:

Well unfortunately, with the current admin, in particular CK-I believe that world is sadly closer than I ever thought.

• Like 2