Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

4 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

One of my Cavalier brothers has 2 daughters who are both happily marching Colts this year, and he's happily supporting both corps. No issues . 

Jan Warren (Don’s daughter) marched in Norwood Park BITD.  She was drum major. I was gone by then so we never marched together.  But I remember a lot of sisters of Cavaliers were in the corps.  I’m still friends with some of them. 

• Thanks 1

While I DO NOT have the mental strength to read this entire thread right now, I do hope you will forgive me if my following comment has been stated before.

After thinking on this development from the Scouts organization for hours on end, I stand by my initial reaction: The timing of this announcement is insensitive, clumsy, arrogant, and ignorant of the feelings and emotional baggage that it heaps on the current marching members and THEIR experience this summer as the last all-male version of the Madison Scouts. While I can think of reasons that announcing now may aid recruiting for 2020, those potential gains pale in comparison to what negative fodder has transpired and can NEVER be retracted. I have made an effort not to bash Chris K. and Dan P. on so much that has taken place the past five or so years, trying to be sensitive to the huge amount of hateful and misguided notions  so many alumni have placed on those two gentlemen, but this? perhaps I was mistaken and these two dudes are really this insensitive and unaware. My heart goes out to all the current members and rejects anyone's claims that this "won't effect them", "they are tough and accepting", blah blah blah bull s%#$. WOW!  Just WOW!  Not Wow! because of the decision, but how and when it was announced. Much bourbon needed.   

• Like 3

There’s already a co-ed version of the Cavaliers based in the Bay Area so I think Rosemont is safe. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

I have seen females play male roles before. Just sayin'

This thread is getting ridiculous.

So casting George Clooney or Olympia Snowe in the role of Eleanor Roosevelt would make no difference? Casting Meryl Streep as Annie would work? Casting Cary Grant instead of Sydney Poitier in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" would make no difference? 

18 minutes ago, westcoastblue said:

While I DO NOT have the mental strength to read this entire thread right now, I do hope you will forgive me if my following comment has been stated before.

After thinking on this development from the Scouts organization for hours on end, I stand by my initial reaction: The timing of this announcement is insensitive, clumsy, arrogant, and ignorant of the feelings and emotional baggage that it heaps on the current marching members and THEIR experience this summer as the last all-male version of the Madison Scouts. While I can think of reasons that announcing now may aid recruiting for 2020, those potential gains pale in comparison to what negative fodder has transpired and can NEVER be retracted. I have made an effort not to bash Chris K. and Dan P. on so much that has taken place the past five or so years, trying to be sensitive to the huge amount of hateful and misguided notions  so many alumni have placed on those two gentlemen, but this? perhaps I was mistaken and these two dudes are really this insensitive and unaware. My heart goes out to all the current members and rejects anyone's claims that this "won't effect them", "they are tough and accepting", blah blah blah bull s%#$. WOW!  Just WOW!  Not Wow! because of the decision, but how and when it was announced. Much bourbon needed.   

I taught several and am friends with a couple MM and they love this.  Some people forget how open this younger generation is to these types of things.  I haev not seen 1 current MM from Madison or another corps that has frowned on it in any way.

Edited by BlueStainGlass
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, DAvery said:

So casting George Clooney or Olympia Snowe in the role of Eleanor Roosevelt would make no difference? Casting Meryl Streep as Annie would work? Casting Cary Grant instead of Sydney Poitier in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" would make no difference? 

Settle down, Beavis

Edited by ThePlanets

4 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

False equivalence due to many reasons that I'm sure have been explained to you countless times.

This is a good move for Madison, and yes, the Cavaliers will be next. Whether it's next year or next decade, it will happen. You can avoid tons of unnecessary mental anguish if you just accept that and move on with your life.

The only way that the Cavies go co-ed is if someone or an organization goes after them for being "misogynistic, chauvinistic" and not woke enough. Its a darn shame. Organizations should be able to determine who they admit as members. People should focus on themselves and their families and stop obsessing over others.

1 minute ago, FlamMan said:

The only way that the Cavies go co-ed is if someone or an organization goes after them for being "misogynistic, chauvinistic" and not woke enough. Its a darn shame. Organizations should be able to determine who they admit as members. People should focus on themselves and their families and stop obsessing over others.

Being a non profit, currently the Cavaliers membership are protected by law. National laws would have to change.

I grew up wanting to do high kicks with the Rockettes . But those pesky ladies don’t accept any guys in their line.

i kid...I kid...but you get my point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1