Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

6 hours ago, crest99 said:

I'll take equality over privilege and exclusivity every day of the week and twice on Sundays. 

If you actually listen to the words coming out of the mouths of the Scouts' leadership, it sounds like they did this in a thoughtful way and for the right reasons.  If competitive struggles brought those right reasons to the front rank of their concerns, then so be it.  I'm not too picky about the reasons behind positive change.

I hope and believe that a more inclusive corps will open up richer experiences for current and future members -- and for alums too.  

Lots of institutions have found ways to reconcile tradition and inclusivity.  My guess is that the Scouts can figure out how to accomplish that too.  

Nope. This was done because CK and his failed leadership team and the BOD was feeling the heat, hearing the complaints, and reading about the discontent with the current failed Madison Scout leadership, organization and results. They knew the end was near. This is a desperation move to protect their jobs. Going co-ed is a defensive move designed to deflect and protect. Given the current climate, if the Madison Scouts BOD & CK are fired, those doing the firing will be painted and attacked as misogynistic, chauvinistic & discriminatory. Its a darn shame.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

Unfortunately, I have seen several different versions of that statement today ("die mad boomers") across Facebook, Reddit and other platforms. 

Someone recently said on reddit that the world will be a much better place when all the boomers are dead.  And yes, lots of talk about boomers today based on this situation, despite the fact that many boomers support the decision and many younger people oppose it.  In that kind of environment, irrational statements of this nature accompanied by a hostile tone are a little unsettling, to say the least.

And for the record, I don't expect MotoSurf really wants me dead.  My post was mostly a tongue in cheek observation of irony.  The frequency of these comments does get a little scary, though.  I can't run as fast as I used to.

Edited by skevinp
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Who cares? These are private organizations no one is entitled, male or female, to be in them. You tell that girl there are 21 other corps that she can audition for and have a great summer 

100% exactly right Cappy.

6 hours ago, tesmusic said:

We don’t always agree Jeff, but you are spot on in this one. 

here's the thing: I am all for inclusion. I get the tradition and the history, and to a corps formed in 1938, that's huge, especially from alumni donations, which have to be coming to a crawl now, and from looking at the last set of 990's available, slowing anyways. I know I have been critical of the alumni on here and elsewhere, and stand by all I have said, but this is not going to suddenly have donations coming in to replace that which is lost, and IMO, won't help get grant money to roll in by the Brinks Truck. If they were top 6, this would not be a consideration. Actually, it'll help Cavies.

If your management cannot attract or retain top names, i don't care if you're all male, all female, coed, all alien.... you will not get top talent. And when you look at design....if you don't give a staff time to grow and develop, you get nowhere. Why are Blue Devils so successful? the key players together since 1994. Bluecoats...over a decade. Look at Boston...even with the new hires in 17, it has taken time to grow. Hell look at SCV....Rennick in first, then Shaw...and it wasn't until Gaines came onboard did they medal. Cavies hit lows not seen in 2012 f in years because key names left. It took them a while to get it going, but the current design team has slowly gotten them back in the top grouping....time and patience.

and this management team hasn't given any team that time and patience, and too often allow the need to "Be Madison" dictate design. Jim Elvord is a god in this activity....but kids today don't know his resume, he isn't pulling talent in. Chuck at least has name value. 

This move reeks of desperation because the corps is looking at their 6th time out of finals since 2002, and IMO, in 08 they pulled it out of their butt at the last second to go in, and many of those reasons lie in management's hands.

Cue the Band of Brothers show, because IMO, that was the last of what people would call the real Madison Scouts

14 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Someone recently said on reddit that the world will be a much better place when all the boomers are dead.  And yes, lots of talk about boomers today based on this situation, despite the fact that many boomers support the decision and many younger people oppose it.  In that kind of environment, irrational statements of this nature accompanied by a hostile tone are a little unsettling, to say the least.

Meanwhile, the Gen Xers are sitting back shaking their heads. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, westcoastblue said:

Well, much to say about both quoted reactions, but I will try to keep it brief. Your assumption that I am a Baby Boomer is incorrect, unthoughtful, ill-timed, and deprecating of your intended assertion(s). I spend my career immersed with students aged 14–24.  My interactions and outcomes in these regards are quite successful and internationally known. You misread that I was anti-Scouts; snap emotions and hate are strong deterrents to logic, calm, and open-mindedness. I love the Scouts and want to see them win DCI again, soon. The current members will be bombarded with questions all summer long regarding their reactions to the corps going co-ed. These questions will come from supporters, haters, family, friends, those informed as to the organization's history, those familiar with the inner workings of drum corps, those not familiar, etc. Speeches/talks have been given, and will be given to members at the start of show days and rehearsal days regarding the corps' future and the role the current members will play in this monumental turn of events (Some could see this as time waisted, delaying the corps from much needed changes and cleaning of the 2019 production). Over the course of the summer members will look at DCP and other social-based platforms, reading offerings that will stir their emotions, thought processes, and stances. The fact that this season could now be seen as a "place holder" or "transitional season" could diminish the value of every drop of sweat, strained muscle, and head and heart effort that each member of the 2019 Madison Scouts invests in this year's production. I do not think we can simply state that the 2019 members will not react negatively in any way to the "going co-ed" news. Yes, this generation is extremely resilient in many ways. Yes, they are much more inclusive and diverse in their views of humanity than previous generations. Yes, they are strong and open-minded unlike any generation before them. But, to assume they are not feeling, emotionally-driven, seeking-truth, needing perspective and at times feeling underneath strained-scrutiny and maturity as to what is right for the organization, right now and in the future, right for them in 2019, is shallow and greatly examples unawareness and insensitivity. 

While I have found your posts at time to be a bit brash and biased, all I can say here is BRAVO!  Extremely well-stated and spot-on. At the end of the day, logic, fact, and clarity of reason has no replacement. 

1 hour ago, westcoastblue said:

While I DO NOT have the mental strength to read this entire thread right now, I do hope you will forgive me if my following comment has been stated before.

After thinking on this development from the Scouts organization for hours on end, I stand by my initial reaction: The timing of this announcement is insensitive, clumsy, arrogant, and ignorant of the feelings and emotional baggage that it heaps on the current marching members and THEIR experience this summer as the last all-male version of the Madison Scouts. While I can think of reasons that announcing now may aid recruiting for 2020, those potential gains pale in comparison to what negative fodder has transpired and can NEVER be retracted. I have made an effort not to bash Chris K. and Dan P. on so much that has taken place the past five or so years, trying to be sensitive to the huge amount of hateful and misguided notions  so many alumni have placed on those two gentlemen, but this? perhaps I was mistaken and these two dudes are really this insensitive and unaware. My heart goes out to all the current members and rejects anyone's claims that this "won't effect them", "they are tough and accepting", blah blah blah bull s%#$. WOW!  Just WOW!  Not Wow! because of the decision, but how and when it was announced. Much bourbon needed.   

WCB, well said. The timing of this Madison announcement is just desperate, unfortunate, insensitive, unaware and self serving. The "huge amount of hateful and misguided notions so many alumni have placed on Chris K. and Dan P."? It isn't hateful, but reality. These 2 clowns are responsible for the demise of the Madison Scouts. Now they are cloaked in claiming to be champions of inclusivity and diversity. The Madison Scouts have been inclusive and diverse for 40+ years.