Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

2 minutes ago, Musicman1084 said:

Except this year's Crossmen guard and the Phantom guard in certain years.

And as I posted immediately after that, I disagree with that as well. No drum corps should be turning away a talented, hard-working kid with a good attitude solely based on the kid's gender.

If you're going to dig up posts from 200 pages ago in this thread, do it accurately.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

And as I posted immediately after that, I disagree with that as well. No drum corps should be turning away a talented, hard-working kid with a good attitude solely based on the kid's gender.

If you're going to dig up posts from 200 pages ago in this thread, do it accurately.

I'm still going through this thread, so while I apologize that I missed it, the snark isn't really necessary. For the record, I was neither saying I agreed nor disagreed, just attempting to add something that I had apparently not yet gotten to in this thread.

Edited by Musicman1084

Just now, Musicman1084 said:

I'm still going through this thread, so while I apologize that I missed it, the snark isn't really necessary. For the record, I was neither saying I agreed nor disagreed, just attempting to add something that I had apparently not yet gotten to in this thread.

Well then, Musicman, I 100% apologize for the snark! I spent a good portion of yesterday afternoon arguing with Greenblue about this exact point and he kept doing the most head-spinning logic twists in order to avoid conceding the point. So I assumed you were doing the same. My apologies. I was way too trigger-happy responding to your post. Seriously, sorry about the snarkiness!!

Just now, Jake W. said:

Well then, Musicman, I 100% apologize for the snark! I spent a good portion of yesterday afternoon arguing with Greenblue about this exact point and he kept doing the most head-spinning logic twists in order to avoid conceding the point. So I assumed you were doing the same. My apologies. I was way too trigger-happy responding to your post. Seriously, sorry about the snarkiness!!

We're good. I've apparently missed a lively discussion on the matter, but as DCP goes, I'm not surprised how many pages deep we are...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WarriorHal said:

Agree. Retire the Madison Scouts name and completely rebrand. This is a fundamental change -- 80+ years of history and tradition are over and done with, so bury it. This will now become just another generic DCI corps with no identity that sets them apart from the rest of the crowd. Wear a different theme appropriate costume every year, incorporate lots of big props, play music only college music majors are familiar with and enjoy, design shows for the judges. Apparently, that's what most people want today. Drum corps has evolved into a completely different activity that is unrecognizable to long-time fans. So do whatever you have to do to blend in and compete with the other modern day corps. Just start the new era with a new name. 

Bluecoats Beatles show in 2019 is "music only college music majors are familiar with"????  Blessed Sacrament and the Cavies both played "Eleanor Rigby" pre-DCI. BS played "Yesterday" in 1968, and the Polish Falcon's played "Michelle" same year.

Two corps playing Simon and Garfunkel, as  did loads of corps over time. 

I am a long time fan/participant, since 1963, and I recognize what is important between then and now...drum corps is the highest level marching.music activity that provides members and audience an amazing experience.

3 hours ago, Bucbari said:

and Golden Knights in 71.  but they didn't survive

My favorite corps growing up through the 60's, actually! I think a bunch of the wonderful Colleens winter guard were the foundation of BS' girl guard in 71. Too little...too late. The church dropped sponsorship, and they tried to make it by moving from Newark to Union. 

38 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

the thread is 38 pages long... 

as far as what corps should and shouldn't do - they were an all male corps, and now they're not. So when they were the female wasn't eligible. Now they aren't so the female will try out and be admitted on ability as it should be

21 minutes ago, madisonsmiley said:

Can anyone verify they're rebranding and changing their name to Sound of Indiana?

:doh: