Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Well - it's a way to shake up the organization and foster change

It expands their potential membership by 100% and potential donors & volunteers

A risky and bold move. Like others I"m sad to see the death of the fraternal tradition - but times change and Madison must adapt

I certainly hope it works out well for everyone - it's either the smartest move ever or could kill what's left. Hoping for the best!

Agreed on all fronts. Their business model was failing, and they had to look for a way to change the playing field. For them, this was probably the smartest path forward.   

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim was told they’re in the black by a very reliable source. 

Yep
They are even taking the Alumni Corps two it's second upcoming Mardi Gras.  ⚜️

Guessing they got a big donor or donors who basically said we'll give you a lot of money, but not if you remain all-male.

Maybe a schrewd move, but as long as the current leadership remains in place, this will not help them competitively.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

Oh boy. Gird your loins and prepare your best popcorn-munching memes, everyone. This is not a drill.

I'm sure that the alumni are all united in support of this change... 😒

• Haha 3

My only point on this: it’s bothered me a bit over the last few years that if I were to have a female student come to me and say she wanted to march Cavaliers or Madison Scouts because she loved what either one was doing on the field, she couldn’t. Just because she’s a young woman, no other reason. I’d have to tell her to audition for any other corps she wanted to, it just couldn’t be either of those. Yet I could encourage a male student in the same situation to feel free to audition for whichever corps he fell in love with.

• Like 9