Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

Three things:

1. I hope regardless of what people think right now it keeps the corps alive for years to come.

2. I hope they do not completely change their long-established design style or traditions in 2020. I hope they are still the corps that brings lots of loud, in-your-face brass and awesome, fast-paced drill (even if the latter is a dying breed), and that plays "May You Never Walk Alone" and other classic Scouts repertoire at encores.

3. As for the Cavaliers, for as much as I don't want to see them go coed as they have been quite successful as they currently are, they should honestly make the decision that's right for them.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 6

If the reports were true about the number of those who auditioned for CG, this will help in recruiting.

I would agree with all this talk of inclusion and opportunity and the act of equality if there was no opportunity for young ladies to march elsewhere. But as we have it now there are close to 40 corps in DCI where the opportunity is given. The point was made that a young lady might want to march the Cavaliers because she likes the style/design of the corps. Did you stop and think that the reason the Cavaliers might have this style and swagger and design  and the reason she likes the corps so much is because it is all male??? This is their identity and it works for them. 

I’m tired of reading that the Cavaliers are chauvinist. Please. Move on. This is the furthest from the truth.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Galen said:

I'm sure that the alumni are all united in support of this change... 😒

I feel this decision was made as much to stay competitive as it was politically.  The Board knows they will lose alumni in this decision.  They know the alumni have been their harshest critics.  If they lose some due to this change then that’s less FMMs to deal with.  

The Board don’t look bad because hey it’s equality.  It’s the right thing to do.  They cleanse themselves a little more as some will throw up their hands in the air and say I’m done.  Win-win. 

If the alumni fight this, they will look out of the times and the bad guys.  

For me, it just feels all wrong.  If it was done for the right reasons great but I get the impression it was not.  This looks like a strategic move that karma will determine the eventual outcome.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Nine White Russians said:

Guessing they got a big donor or donors who basically said we'll give you a lot of money, but not if you remain all-male.

Maybe a schrewd move, but as long as the current leadership remains in place, this will not help them competitively.

Interesting, but unlikely. There are reasons why big donors have money to give. Big donors do no throw good money after bad. So if a big donor made this promise, they had better have the money in hand or if it is a check, run to the bank. 

Edited by Tim K

16 minutes ago, Nine White Russians said:

Well then, let's just tear down all fraternities, sororities, all male colleges, all female colleges, any associations or clubs because they are chauvinistic ...let's make everyone and everything all inclusive, take away any and all distinctions, uniqueness, tear down the evil patriarchy!!!!!!!!! 

Where do I sign up? 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, hc6434ot said:

Considering there are only two (now one) all-male corps, the situation is completely different than what you described. There is equal opportunity regarding clubs and association, hence Title IX. 

And that’s why colleges now must have women’s sports programs to equal the number of men’s sports programs. Nothing says that the football team must include women or the any of the men’s programs must include women. DCI has plenty of opportunities for women to march, instruct etc..,

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GREENBLUE said:

And that’s why colleges now must have women’s sports programs to equal the number of men’s sports programs. Nothing says that the football team must include women or the any of the men’s programs must include women. DCI has plenty of opportunities for women to march, instruct etc..,

Right but there is still a place women can’t march. Men can march everywhere. 

• Like 5