Madison Scouts now officially co-ed

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol I always say I’m not a musician I’m a note player. IOW I see a note on a sheet of paper I know what valves to push and that’s it. But started out as a trombone player so maybe that’s the real problem lol.

Have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science from 40 years ago so about everything from then is obsolete. Once in a while someone tries to get in a whizzing contest because they went to a name school and I attended a state one. My usual response is to ask what have they done (or what have they learned) since then.

State schools are bomb.com/awesome!  I have only been at land-grants.  Also, at least in the academic world, "name" schools do not have guaranteed placements like they used to.  But that is mainly because the job market is such ####.  On average about 100,000 Ph.D.'s going for 10,000 jobs.  One position I applied to this last cycle had greater than 400 applicants for 1 position.

5 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

State schools are bomb.com/awesome!  I have only been at land-grants.  Also, at least in the academic world, "name" schools do not have guaranteed placements like they used to.  But that is mainly because the job market is such ####.  On average about 100,000 Ph.D.'s going for 10,000 jobs.  One position I applied to this last cycle had greater than 400 applicants for 1 position.

Forgot to mention I transferred to said state school.... from a community college lol. Some of the smarter state schools in PA specialize in certain fields and make their name that way. Mine was known for years for music Ed, criminology and nursing (there’s a combo). 

Sorry folks can’t relate this to the topic at all 😝

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Forgot to mention I transferred to said state school.... from a community college lol. Some of the smarter state schools in PA specialize in certain fields and make their name that way. Mine was known for years for music Ed, criminology and nursing (there’s a combo). 

Sorry folks can’t relate this to the topic at all 😝

Community colleges are also awesome, and are the backbone of higher education in this nation!  We need to invest in them more than we do, and recognize how they train the majority of all higher education students.  But yah, we are a little off topic now.

DCP, how I have missed you.  You never disappoint. A discussion about the Scouts moving to be inclusive of all genders devolves into a snarky insult-fest from people getting butt-hurt regarding someone's educational credentials. 

Again, I'd like to thank you all for your continued passionate interest in the Madison Scouts. That is always a good thing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ndkbass said:

Does not mean you are right and I am wrong or vice versa, just means we both experienced different things.

Absolutely. Ultimately, it's the Scouts' decision to make, and we all have to just see what happens like it or not. I hope the corps succeeds and provides the same awesome experience I had regardless of co-ed status. Glad we can have a respectful debate and stay out of the mud. Love to you, brother!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roark1 said:

DCP, how I have missed you.  You never disappoint. A discussion about the Scouts moving to be inclusive of all genders devolves into a snarky insult-fest from people getting butt-hurt regarding someone's educational credentials. 

Again, I'd like to thank you all for your continued passionate interest in the Madison Scouts. That is always a good thing.

And we all thank you for adding to the snarky insult-fest.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a terrible idea.

Signed, The Sweet Adelines

11 hours ago, Jofus said:

Absolutely. Ultimately, it's the Scouts' decision to make, and we all have to just see what happens like it or not. I hope the corps succeeds and provides the same awesome experience I had regardless of co-ed status. Glad we can have a respectful debate and stay out of the mud. Love to you, brother!

Agreed to all of that. And to you! By the way, 2006 is a super underrated show. I really enjoyed it visually and musically.  Especially the battery, they were rocking!

On 7/9/2019 at 6:50 PM, crest99 said:

Just a few points in no particular order:

• A number of posters have advanced the idea that these corps are private organizations who can behave as they please, and the rest of us should mind our business.  This claim is groundless.  While I believe in the importance of autonomy in the nonprofit sector, the tax benefit they receive as nonprofits justifies public scrutiny -- especially when it comes to issues involving discrimination.  

Nonprofits are only exempt from corporate income tax.  No net earnings, no tax benefit.