Positive thoughts about Madison Scouts' future

12 minutes ago, Nine White Russians said:

The timing of this is very suspicious. Why not wait 'till the end of the season? 

Now when you see the Madison Scouts this summer, you’ll know you’ll be seeing the “Men of Madison” for the last time.  Everyone will know it’s the end of one chapter and 2020 will be the beginning of another.  

• Like 4

Thinking of your history and all that Madison has contributed to Drum Corps. Thank-you!

May your future be bright, your loyal Alums be supportive, the 'hurt' be at a minimum, and hoping  the current, talented  MM's have a wonderful Summer and future w/ the corps.

MYNWA

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

My visceral reaction is against the trend toward de-genderizing everything for the sake of a false idea of what "equality" is.  Men and women are different, and it's healthy to have activities and social groups that are gender-specific.  There are less and less places where men can go be with men, and women can be with women, boys with boys, girls with girls.  Equality means having a Girl Scouts AND a Boy Scouts, not dissolving the distinction between the two.  

I just mourn the loss of yet another institution where young men can grow and learn in an environment of other men; this is especially important given the growing lack of stable father figures in homes across America. 

A couple thoughts in response to your post: I think you need to provide some statistics to back up your claim that there is a "growing lack of stable father figures in homes across America."  That is a very specific claim that seems coded in many ways.  As an academic who studies these things, I would argue that that is not actually the case.  I also take issue with your use of equality as you define it via context.  Separate is not inherently equal.  It is, in fact, completely the opposite.  See the landmark 1954 Supreme Court decision in Brown v. Board or current equal pay issues in women's professional sports (in particular the U.S. women's national team, which sells more jersey's and performs better than the U.S. men's national team, but receives a fraction of the pay).  Sure, there are physical or biological differences between the sexes, but patriarchy is a social construction, and there is a vast difference between biological sex, gender identity, and sexuality in how it is both theorized and understood.  Understanding power dynamics and systems or structures of inequality is more important to this conversation than arbitrary definitions of gender or equality.  We are also discussing private entities, not government or public entities.  This means that they can set their own policies, and that does not prevent you or anyone else from establishing their own gender segregated activities or organizations if they so wish as long as they are not doing so with public funds.  Madison going coed is not "dissolving the distinction between the two," it is simply recognizing that as a private organization they wish to be inclusive to all those who are interested in auditioning regardless of gender identity.  This is not saying their cannot be all male corps or even all female corps.  It is just a decision made by a private entity to update their own membership policy.  Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

The timing of this is very suspicious. Why not wait 'till the end of the season? 

CK wants to save his ####### job. #failure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

Immediate thought would be to enable any potential MM candidates who are female to see Madison Scouts on field in real time over the course of the next four weeks and give real consideration. Yes, there may be 'videos', but now you'll have young ladies who may have used Scouts as their nacho break sitting and watching them while considering possibilities for next year. It also gives those same potentials 4 months of travel arrangement possibilities and considerations rather than 2 months if they wait to September to announce. That extra time could be meaningful to some.

Additionally, it gives current members and families the opportunity to mark and appreciate that this will be the last year of the Scouts in this form.  Everyone involved now know the gig and can mark the memories how they see fit. This season, for all intents and purposes, is an end of an era for the program. I kinda hope the members and staff were told first to give them the opportunity to process and discuss internally prior to the press release. IMO, that is a small gesture that could mean quite a bit to those currently involved. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

I think the timing is good. I would invite potential recruits not marching this season to attend rehearsals if Scouts visit their town. Have camp info available for San Antonio, Atlanta, and Allentown. In Indy reach out to OC corps members who want to move to WC. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

I think what we would wish for in all of our relationships is "equality of opportunity".  That is what I took from the BOD's statement.  

Sorry... I didn't read the BOD statement (unless... well, I read the Twitter version... was it the same thing?).  I guess I was trying to work through my initial reaction to the news itself, not the reasoning of the Scouts BOD in particular.  

I marched in a coed corps in the 80s before marching with the Scouts. I can honestly say that many of the girls that I marched with went on to be fantastic bugle players in other corps such as SCV, Phantom Regiment, Suncoast Sound, Garfield Cadets, etc. So, although I will miss the all male mystique, I will continue to support The Scouts and I think it was a smart move to go coed. And, I honestly believe that it should have been done a lot sooner. Their potential talent base just got a lot larger to draw from by this move. Kudos! MYNWA!

Edited by Madcityscout
Correct the grammar
  • Like 4