Valdosta, GA - Monday, July 8, 2019

27 minutes ago, Sideways said:

I pounded them more on how dirty they were and what I saw as a lack of definition in the basics...feet and brass in particular.  

The feet are the main issue from what I've heard. And dirty feet is a big factor in brass sound. If you don't have sound marching mechanics, you aren't going to have good sound (though I guess with some corps not marching much anymore, this isn't as much of an issue)

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.  Phantom's show was getting pounded by a lot of posters after their few shows, but I thought they were being underscored and should have been ahead of Spirit. 

People on Phantom's thread have been calling for a change in staff over this year's show.  I didn't know which thread was worse, Phantom's and Madison's!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It looks like PR may be hitting their stride.

In the DCI Premier thread back on June 21, I wrote: "I'd feel safe betting on Phantom making Finals."

To be fair, I admit there have been points since then that I doubted that prediction would come to pass!

An interesting season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, g00fyg00ber said:

I believe this is the first competition for each Open Class corps performing tonight. Interested to see where they fall!

Yes, the first score for each, since Heat Wave was at the weather-standstill in Orlando.

1. Southwind 58.850

2. Louisiana Stars 57.850

3. Heat Wave 48.950

Southwind took G.E. and guard; Stars took all music captions; they split the other two visual captions.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dcikon2 said:

People on Phantom's thread have been calling for a change in staff over this year's show.  I didn't know which thread was worse, Phantom's and Madison's!

I mean they're still barely fighting for 12th right now. No need to slash and burn but some new minds could help.

17 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

I mean they're still barely fighting for 12th right now. No need to slash and burn but some new minds could help.

Well let’s not forget the obvious here. Someone has to win and someone has to come in last. Not all will make finals and not all should. 

2 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Well let’s not forget the obvious here. Someone has to win and someone has to come in last. Not all will make finals and not all should. 

And it's the managements responsibility to make sure that "someone" in last isn't them. That's what Bostons did two years ago.