Best shows for Newbies?

Probably taking my little brother to his first drum corps show on the 14th. What are some good shows that'll help show how the activity has grown, and will be able to appeal to someone who hasn't known of the activity for very long. 

PS: I'm assuming a thread like this exists somewhere, so I apologize for that.

2 minutes ago, TheAngryBavarian said:

Probably taking my little brother to his first drum corps show on the 14th. What are some good shows that'll help show how the activity has grown, and will be able to appeal to someone who hasn't known of the activity for very long. 

PS: I'm assuming a thread like this exists somewhere, so I apologize for that.

I'd show him Crown's "Relentless" and/or "Inferno". Bluecoats "Downside Up" is also a great choice. 

There are so many options! Everyone has their own taste, but I am going to throw out a few shows and give a brief explanation.

The Cavaliers 2016- I am assuming that your brother is in his teens and I feel like this show might spark some interest. At the time, The Cavaliers went through A LOT of changes and I feel like this show turned many things around. The music is aggressive, drill is enjoyable, and that closer is awesome. 

Carolina Crown 2015- phew! Musically speaking, this show is incredible. And the design is absolutely breathtaking. In my opinion, this is probably Crowns most completed package in terms of a show. I am sure other may disagree, but I absolutely love this show. Plus, one of my regular customers marched in this show and I have learned a lot about that organization. 

The Cavaliers 2006- honestly, it's just bad***! A pure Cavies show! 

Phantom Regiment 2008- the show may have only won by .025, but it is easily considered one of the most emotional shows ever performed on the field. And the closer.... I AM SPARTACUS!

SCV 1989- when viewing this show, keep in mind that they are not playing on Bb horns, but rather they are performing on G horns. If yall love low brass.... look no further! Easily considered the best contra line in DCI hostory.

Blue Devils 2011- I always seem to come back to this show. It has an awesome brass book! 

Last and most certainly not the least...

The Cavaliers 2004- this is actually the show that turned me into the hardcore Cavies fan that I am. In my opinion, in terms of championship caliber drill, this is possibly Michael Gaines best work. The percussion is aggressive, the sopranos are incredible, and that Latin section is freaking awesome! I am sure both you and your brother will enjoy this show.

Edited by Hook'emCavies
  • Like 1

I think three shows tops for a newbie, so I would start with Star 1991. This shows George Zingali at his absolute best.

Second, show PR 2008 for the giant step into drama on the field.

Third, I am partial to Bloo 2016. I still show it to newbies for the raw spectacle of it all and it is as fun as hell.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

Show them:

SCV 1989: Phantom of the Opera is really familiar for a lot of people and the show was a lot of fun musically. Could also show Phantom 1989

Phantom 2003 or Crown 2007 for a sure from the 2000s.

for the 2010s I'd suggest Blue Devils 2010. 

I'm kidding. 

Show them Bluecoats 2014, or Bluecoats 2016 or Bluecoats 2017 OR Bluecoats 2018. Honestly the Bluecoats have defined the 2010s and I think they best represent what modern drum corps is. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Show them Bluecoats 2014, or Bluecoats 2016 or Bluecoats 2017 OR Bluecoats 2018. Honestly the Bluecoats have defined the 2010s and I think they best represent what modern drum corps is. 

Maybe someday we could even tell the newbie that even Cappybara has Bloo on his favorites list 🙂

• Haha 1