Best shows for Newbies?

Do you want a handful of shows over time?

I think just about any sequence from the essentials collection works well.

Here are some shows that I think are both entertaining and show growth, are relatively easy to find, and a nice mix of corps.

1976 BD

1980 Bridgemen

1984 Cadets

1989 SCV

1991 Star of Indiana

1995 Madison Scouts

2000 Cadets

2006 Cavaliers

2008 Phantom Regiment

Insert favorite recent BD championship here- I think 09 and 17 are the most accessible but 14 is probably most important. Doesn't matter- there are 6 to choose from

2015 Crown

2016 Bluecoats

2018 SCV

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

For a really fun show that’s well performed, 1997 Madison Scouts. Who doesn’t like pirates?

For something on the serious side yet still very accessible go for the 2010 Phantom Regiment. 

1997 scouts are great- I have trouble finding the entire show though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Show them:

SCV 1989: Phantom of the Opera is really familiar for a lot of people and the show was a lot of fun musically. Could also show Phantom 1989

Phantom 2003 or Crown 2007 for a sure from the 2000s.

for the 2010s I'd suggest Blue Devils 2010. 

I'm kidding. 

Show them Bluecoats 2014, or Bluecoats 2016 or Bluecoats 2017 OR Bluecoats 2018. Honestly the Bluecoats have defined the 2010s and I think they best represent what modern drum corps is. 

When I was getting into it as a youngster, the Blue Devils were the go-to hype machine.  Every show that they put out was appealing on an entertainment and technical level.

These days however...

For a good time, call the Bluecoats.

Edit: That should be a t-shirt

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 2

My friends that got me into this rarely showed me championship shows.

They merely showed me great shows.  What do you consider to be a great show from the past and what do you consider to be great from the present?  There's your answer.

• Like 1

Mine aren't really to show how the activity has grown, more to show different aspects it has to offer...

1996 Madison Scouts (awesome music)

2006 Cavaliers (cool visuals)

2014 Bluecoats (electronics, props, and a nice ballad)

• Like 1

Great lists by all. If you don't want to overwhelm the newbie, as others have stated, find something from today's crop of corps that is really fun, maybe something that was really challenging, and perhaps something that is sort of traditional in look and feel. 

Bluecoats 2016 show is total fun and modern, or Bluecoats 2018 featuring awesome jazz and vocals done well. Crown's 2013 or 2015 shows offers a modern feel with more "traditional" drill and classical music. Cadets 2011 for a nice theme-bases show with tons of drill. Blue Devils 2015 or 2017 would give them a look into that style. SCV 2018 just rocks. 

Maybe show Carolina's rock show from 2010, 2011? I forget. That was a nice, fun show.

• Like 1

It appears as of now that Crown is taking the early lead as his favorite  (which is slightly odd, considering he's a drummer). Thank you all for the shows, I appreciate it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlooooContra said:

Downside Up has been my go-to for new people since 2016. Never fails. 

I think this is the new standard.  If you want to show someone an honest representation of how things are today... something devoid of those 'hokey' cringe moments that tend to show up in shows sometimes... then take them Downside Up.

For me, the standard used to be Devils 88, then Devils 94.  Then Devils 99 and that lasted a year until Cavaliers 2000.  That Cavaliers show lasted a long time as the model of contemporary drumcorps for me.  Most of the following Cavaliers championship shows were similar.  Downside Up is a benchmark show like that Cavaliers show.