Hoschton, GA - Tuesday, July 9, 2019

It looks like both Phantom and Crossmen have kicked in the afterburners.  Both are now outpacing my favorite show of the year so far, which is the Mandarins.  I'm getting a bit concerned that they might become a one time only finalist like Seattle Cascades or The Academy.  Mandarins program is great from beginning to end.  And unlike every other corps I've seen there isn't a dull moment to be found.

Edited by bluesman

6 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Ok -- on the road home. It's been great!

Thanks for all the coverage!!!

• Like 1

Nice recaps, CrownDad. I was at the show, so I thought I'd add a couple impressions:

Spirit has a great show design. The second piece is a challenging brass number that needs to get clean, but I've been told they made a lot of recent changes to that, so that will come I think. My brother is on the BoD and the state of the corp is healthy and the arrow is pointing up. From where they were 4 years ago to now is monumental. I'm not counting them out of top 12 yet.

That said, wow, I don't know who spearheaded the changes to Phantom's show but they have cleaned it WAY up from opening night. The brass sounds very nice, though to my surprise, it was their trumpets that really jumped out at me. I think they may jump Crossmen before its all over. They have ditched the "I AM JOAN" part and put this dark, sinister part with trombones in its place that was the highlight of the night for me.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Mercedes Benz Stadium in a few weeks.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, lanceengland said:

Nice recaps, CrownDad. I was at the show, so I thought I'd add a couple impressions:

Spirit has a great show design. The second piece is a challenging brass number that needs to get clean, but I've been told they made a lot of recent changes to that, so that will come I think. My brother is on the BoD and the state of the corp is healthy and the arrow is pointing up. From where they were 4 years ago to now is monumental. I'm not counting them out of top 12 yet.

That said, wow, I don't know who spearheaded the changes to Phantom's show but they have cleaned it WAY up from opening night. The brass sounds very nice, though to my surprise, it was their trumpets that really jumped out at me. I think they may jump Crossmen before its all over. They have ditched the "I AM JOAN" part and put this dark, sinister part with trombones in its place that was the highlight of the night for me.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Mercedes Benz Stadium in a few weeks.

Yep on PR: NOT the show I saw at the movies. I was impressed. 

Nice to see that score for Phantom Regiment last night. I honestly love their music this year, but it sounds like the visual is beginning to take shape. Great score for Spirit, too.

14 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

I have a feeling that Mandarins will be looking more between 8 - 10 than 10-12. The show is just that much better than the 10-12 shows.

Not from what I have seen and heard.  They could very well not make it and their show is good.

1 minute ago, Mello Dude said:

Not from what I have seen and heard.  They could very well not make it and their show is good.

Saw them in Pasadena, they should have beaten Blue Knights. Their show is tons better than BK (IMO). Not sure why they aren't getting the scores.

• Haha 1

BK is a slumbering giant, in my opinion. Their music book in particular is super cohesive and well designed - and is already being really well performed. Their visual is still holding them back, but once the drill gets cleaner and they adjust some things with staging they will be golden.

16 hours ago, rr4353 said:

BK is a slumbering giant, in my opinion. Their music book in particular is super cohesive and well designed - and is already being really well performed. Their visual is still holding them back, but once the drill gets cleaner and they adjust some things with staging they will be golden.

I'm just not a fan I guess. How is anything they are doing portraying 'I Remember Everything'? Whereas, it is much easier to follow Subterra.