New Cadets Sexual Assault Accusation

29 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Separate and apart from the current allegations, i find the Cadets show to be completely out of bounds from day 1.  The original presentation was shocking and tone deaf, and i will not watch it again to see how it has evolved.  I feel badly for the MMs, but i will not watch or applaud a show that portrays any type of violence, especially violence against a woman.  Crucify me all you want, but being a survivor of serious sexual and physical assault, this concept is abhorrent to me.  

I wish they’d moved on to less literal material myself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I saw a screenshot this morning from two days after the alleged incident. A picture is worth a thousand words.   

This gusrdian seems a little sketchy to me. 

Glad you saw that as well 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

No.  I’ve heard plenty of those stories, too.  

And not just youth activities. One of my nicer “countdown to retirement” milestones is taking my last Prevention of Sexual Assault training (always a gut churner) which has vids of various scenarios. Last one concerns a work trip which in someways resembles a corps at an out of town site. 

Edit just trying to say can happen under just about any circumstances 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And not just youth activities. One of my nicer “countdown to retirement” milestones is taking my last Prevention of Sexual Assault training (always a gut churner) which has vids of various scenarios. Last one concerns a work trip which in someways resembles a corps at an out of town site. 

Edit just trying to say can happen under just about any circumstances 

Yeah. Like riding your bike to the store. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thinking about this I have come to some 'Big Picture' observations / conclusions:

1.  There was an incident & Police/CPS got involved.  

2.  The mother of the victim says that Cadets leadership promised to keep the alleged perp away from the victim, but apparently this did not happen.

3.  It is common sense to require the alleged member to keep away from the victim.  If this was a high school, & a student was harassing another student, the Principal would tell the alleged harasser to keep away from the other kid.  And if the harasser persisted, well there would be consequences (detention, expulsion, etc).  Cadets apparently failed at this step.

4.  99+% of the public who sees the news stories on this will shake their heads & say 'What is going one within this 'summer marching drum corps band thing?  Didn't this happen last year too?  WTF?'

5.  Public perception is Drum Corps' reality.  Holes in the story don't matter.  Financial motivation doesn't matter.  Perception matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

however only part of the evidence has been presented. We have no records of what YEA actually did or did not do.

Sure, but there was no reason to engage with her directly. None. Bad mistake.

8 hours ago, March mom said:

I had to re-read the email several times as it’s  quite lengthy and jumps all over the place at times.

it’s quite lengthy because some of the information contained in it has nothing to do with her or her son situation. There is a half page of quotes from the cadets about their commitment to member safety and adhering to the policies etc. etc. and her feelings about those statements as it pertained to her son. 

however it’s important to point out that those quotes were in reference to a completely different type of situation involving members and staff’s, not 2 minor members and were taken out of context. 

I also want to point out some twisting of words that were used and i can DEFINITELY see where one could have different perspectives on the interpretations . At one point in the email the mother writes that she received a response from YEA that “child protective in Indiana would be handling all further communication and investigation”. The mother then writes,  the worker told her that they did not request there not be contact and check ins on them. 

i need to point out these are two very different things. 

One is an organizational approach and looking at the legality of the total situation and allegations being lodged against them versus the mothers opinion that the organization should’ve reached out to her and provided aftercare. It’s clear from the response that she got that they did not wish to have direct communications with them and I could be entirely wrong in my quick assumption that this would be to avoid direct communication with persons alleging they had a part in this minor/minor offense. 

I also would support the director not disclosing to their staff this child’s incident/situation for the Feb. audition. This child is still a minor and relaying information such as that can also have legal consequences.

I do feel it’s important to point out that the mother requested a settlement. In her emails she states they received a small cash settlement along with a nondisclosure agreement . does it matter the amount of the settlement? 

I again would like to point out that settlements and nondisclosure agreements are used very often. Settlements and nondisclosure agreements offer a way to resolve an issue without assigning blame. From what I can tell the cadets felt they handled the situation appropriately ( and from what i can tell with this one sided amount of info,  they did). 

but given the controversy they have already gone through I can see why they may have agreed to the settlement.

I need to thoroughly state that her child went through a nightmare ordeal and every parents worst nightmare. The authorities have the information regarding the alleged perpetrator. But it’s important to remember that, that action is separate from what she’s trying to hold cadets responsible for. 

I personally feel that her making every detail including her sons first name, where he’s marching, every action that happened during the incident and making it public to the entire drum corp community could potential make any anxiety and PTSD that he has more significant and i feel so badly for him. 

as a parent of a marcher,  I have kept a close eye on these boards over the past 18 months. I would say that I am on here at least twice a week during active seasons. I’m familiar with a lot of the bantering, opinions of some versus others, so while i may be posting for first time- I just felt it was important to point out the things that I’ve noticed before the lynch mob attacked, as that could potentially lead the activity, that’s already been through a lot of negatives,further downward. 

it’s just when persons are emotional and feel a certain way about the situation, that’s when perceptions actually can be different and then interpreted in their own way. what happened to her son is absolutely horrible. would it have been nice for cadets admin‘s to reach out over the months and see how he was doing? yes. obligated too when there are looming legal threats? no. 

But the cadets did report the situation to all authorities promptly and can not be held accountable for members actions against other members. 

( and no, i am not a cadets fantastical, lol. nor does my child march the cadets.)

yup. The big thing i see is some confusion on who contacted when about what in the day/days following the incident and the rules about sleeping situations at the hotel vs. what the Cadets have posted on their page. Given all they went through I can't imagine them trying to seep this under the rug.

the timing on requesting settlements is iffy too.

• Like 3

Frankly, the mother of the victim should be investigated by CPS.  What parent in their right mind, puts out the email she did?  This kid already allegedly had to deal with a situation, and now has to deal with not just the situation again, but the entire drum corps world knowing about it and what appears in some way, to be a money grab by his mother?  This mother is off her rocker and not thinking about her son if her way to get what she wants is throwing that email out in public.  That is just unconscionable to me.

And in no way do I condone the alleged incident or the potential handing of said incident.  Don't know enough facts to make a real, educated opinion.

Edited by Spartans87
added info
  • Like 3

For those of you just jumping into the thread and don't want to read the whole thing let me offer this summary:

1. There was an incident at Cadets last summer involving two minors that included an accusation and investigation of sexual assault.
  2. Everyone agreed early in the thread that there isn't enough information to comment and to allow the Cadets to respond and not make any assumptions of wrong doing on their part which is smart.
  3. However it is apparent that those same feelings of assigning guilt and assuming the worst is not to be extended to the victim or the victim's parents in this case by most in this thread as they are assigning egregious motives to those two very flippantly and with no remorse. They are making assumptions with none of the same level of information they are requiring others to have to speak negatively of The Cadets.
  4. If you thought people learned their lesson with what happened last year you are sadly mistaken.
  5. The circling of the wagons has begun.
  6. Vomit....
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2