New Cadets Sexual Assault Accusation

1 minute ago, MusicManNJ said:

Were you around April 5, 2018? This is nothing compared to that... and... BTW... the parent/guardian have been the ones distributing the information and details of the case and are making serious claims against an organization in this activity.

I was not active on the boards at that time.  I usually don't follow the activity when it is "off season."

I'm pretty sure I know the situation to which you refer.  I am aware but I don't know the details, and I have no wish to know the details.  If the matter has been addressed and settled then any details are none of my business.

+++

I read in this thread that the parent/guardian is the one putting information "out there" on the internet.  That does not change my opinion that it should not be discussed here,

+++

Seems like something worthy of thoughtful discussion.

I think you make a valid point and there are many posters in this thread who are outraged and concerned, rightfully so.  I think the bigger issues can and should be discussed, just not the details of a single issue involving the personal information of children.  If I had a child I wanted to march next year in a DCI corps then I would want to know what is going on, and I would want assurances my child would be safe.

26 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

You are ignoring the fact that the parent/guardian is making unsubstantiated claims against the director and organization.

Well, yes and no.  I am not ignoring anything, I have acknowledged (even though I did not read it first hand) that the parent/guardian has made an allegation against a drum corps (not protecting a child), and that a sexual assault was committed.  She has published that information on-line.  In my professional opinion (former CPS worker) I don't think that mother acted in the best interest of her child.

This is a very complicated situation because it involves a third party (the drum corps in question) but if a parent did that in a CPS case in the courts in which I worked, my guess is the judge would have removed the child from the home temporarily and the parent would have been placed on a formal improvement plan supervised by CPS and reviewed by the court. 

If the mother did not stop with such behavior because it is detrimental to the child, the judge could and likely would follow CPS's recommendation (mine) and terminated the parental rights.  The child would stay with the foster parents or guardians until age 18.

Claims that are not supported by ANYTHING in the official reports. They are the ones who chose to make tis public and have made claims that are not fact based. This was their choice. Choices have consequences... including opening themselves up to public debate about the underlying motives of the adults. I have not seen one post taking issue with the student or the validity of the students accusations. This is about how the adults are now conducting themselves. They are now fair game.

I see your point, I just don't agree with it WHEN IT COMES TO CHILDREN.  Just because the mother made a terrible choice by making all this public, I don't agree that it is "fair game."  It's not fair to the alleged victim nor the alleged perpetrator.

That is exactly the reason court records regarding children are sealed, to protect the rights of both and not further exacerbate the mental health issues created by the alleged sexual assault.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That is exactly the reason court records regarding children are sealed, to protect the rights of both and not further exacerbate the mental health issues created by the alleged sexual assault.

Yep also trying to protect against the stupidity of people. And I would say mailing out records like the mom apparently did was stupid....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I see your point, I just don't agree with it WHEN IT COMES TO CHILDREN.  Just because the mother made a terrible choice by making all this public, I don't agree that it is "fair game."  It's not fair to the alleged victim nor the alleged perpetrator.

I agree with you as it relates to the discussion of the student. But the behavior of the adults (based on the claims they are making publicly) should not be protected because the originating issue was with the student. That issue is separate and apart from the adult actions. The choices the parent/guardian have made by calling into question the integrity of the organization (one that has already been through the ringer and would be more vulnerable to similar accusations) without any factual proof does, in my opinion, make the adults fair game. That said... I am certain all of the facts will come out in due course and the adults will be called to account for the accusations they make and the motives behind their actions.

1 hour ago, MusicManNJ said:

That said... I am certain all of the facts will come out in due course and the adults will be called to account for the accusations they make and the motives behind their actions.

Again, you make a reasonable point.  Adults should be held accountable for their actions they make in public.

The problem/issue I would raise, is how do you deal with the adult's behavior on a Drum Corps Discussion board without directly identifying the child?

My answer is that even though your point is that somehow discussion board participants have some kind of right or obligation to hold a parent accountable, to me the bigger and much more important concern is to not harm the child. don't further traumatize the child. 

That includes an alleged perp who might not be guilty but will forever be associated with the accusation, and the alleged victim whose private trauma is now made much worse by having to face the public shame, perceived or real, that comes with sexual assault.

Let me make a hypothetical case; how would you feel if the child victim went into depression and did self-harm?  I assure you that has happened in cases I know about.  And for the purpose of this discussion, how do you think a person might feel about contributing to that outcome, because he/she felt they had to publicly take the parent to task?  What is DCP's responsibility in contributing to that outcome?

It's so horrible none of us want to think about it.  I am just raising the red flag and saying, we should think about it. 

This could happen.

Edited by wvu80

4 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

But you don't know yet you make the accusation anyway but couch is with "I highly doubt" to give yourself wiggly room later. Maybe you should just stop.

i appreciate your concern

4 hours ago, exitmusic said:

Why is this a legal problem? You seem to be implying that.

using copyrighted material without permission? ya know that whole licensing thing that has been vexing the activity for a few years now?

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

using copyrighted material without permission? ya know that whole licensing thing that has been vexing the activity for a few years now?

As I said to another poster, I'm not sure where you got your law degree, but you should ask for a refund.

Grasping at straws, bro.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, skevinp said:

Do you mean you highly doubt the alleged victim is the one who set up the go fund me page?

Clarification is helpful here because I'm sure someone out there will interpret your statement to mean you highly doubt the alleged perp actually committed the assault.  

correct. reading the letter and things found online, there is a pattern of adult help with actions taken since the incident

3 hours ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

Jeff, this is pretty concerning. Now your saying from your seat in front of a computer that you HIGHLY doubt anything happened? How would you know? I have read all of the comments about the guardian, and the mistakes made in not being sure all names were stricken from the record, and I get that, BUT, now you are saying this never happened? So you are calling the alleged victim a liar? What proof do you have?  

Time for me to get back to work. Lunchtime over

i have never claimed doubt on the incident happening in Indy. I am talking about things since then