New Cadets Sexual Assault Accusation

This can go 2 ways.

• May not go anywhere/will take time to arrive to a conclusion

or

• If this story picks up steam and goes mainstream, this could force an age restriction in drum corps. Meaning only 18-22. 

45 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Man this a slippery slope we are heading down, because Cadets have done everything that can do to ensure the safety of their members against everyone but the members themselves.

They may have. But if the mother's letter is accurate (and as I've argued, there are reasons to think it is not accurate on all points), then Cadets may not have done everything they could.

1 minute ago, Jeffe77 said:

This can go 2 ways.

or

• If this story picks up steam and goes mainstream, this could force an age restriction in drum corps. Meaning only 18-22. 

As regards the second path: is a sexual assault like this really any more likely in drum corps than in other youth activities that travel, like club sports?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

This can go 2 ways.

or

To the second point, I can understand why that would be a thought that people would throw out there, but it hardly solves anything as it would relate to this story. Something like this seems like it would have been just as likely to happen with two 18 year old members, for instance.  

This is all difficult to read and very unfortunate.  

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As regards the second path: is a sexual assault like this really any more likely in drum corps than in other youth activities that travel, like club sports?

I guess from the perspective of minor and young adults travelling together in confined spaces where adequate adult supervision can be challenging at times. Perhaps an overreaction on my part as you mentioned that it's no different than travel club sports

Just now, Jeffe77 said:

I guess from the perspective of minor and young adults travelling together in confined spaces where adequate adult supervision can be challenging at times. Perhaps an overreaction on my part as you mentioned that it's no different than travel club sports

Well, you make a good point about there being young adults as well as minors, although in this case both the alleged perpetrator and alleged victim are minors, and the police report (or CPS report, I don't remember which) says something about minors and young adults normally not being in the same room.

Although even in high school sports, there often will be 18 year olds in the group.

Let's all not be too quick to react to this and pass blame.  There's a lot that seems suspicious to me here.

1. Given everything that has happened in the past I can't imagine that there's any way that The Cadets management didn't take this very seriously.  I expect that they did take serious action to handle the matter.  If they didn't, they would be wholly incompetent and you'd have a hard time convincing me that they don't have competent management at this point. 

2. If I understand this correctly the mother of the alleged victim did a mass emailing of a bunch of documents about this case to other people involved with the cadets.  I gotta tell you that's a parent that is NOT acting in their child's best interests.  If this is still a matter under investigation it would seem to me that this sort of action would undermine the investigation.  On the surface, I would view it as a parent trying stir up trouble - possibly with the intent of getting some sort of financial settlement from The Cadets.  This really is not what you do if you truly care about your child and about doing what is right.

3. From what The Cadets have said - and with no evidence to the contrary - they did not know that the alleged attacker re-entered the room where the alleged victim was staying until just recently.  It seems like that would be important information.  If that was withheld till just now I would again question why the accuser did not provide this information sooner.

I'm sorry to say this, but it is simply the fact that there are people that try to take advantage of situations.  In this case The Cadets are particularly vulnerable given what was alleged to have happened with Hop.  When I look at how this has been reported I can't really make any judgement about the assault that has been alleged.  But it sure looks to me that at least the parents of the alleged victim are not handling this in the way that a parent truly interested in the truth would handle things.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bayareafan said:

2. If I understand this correctly the mother of the alleged victim did a mass emailing of a bunch of documents about this case to other people involved with the cadets.  I gotta tell you that's a parent that is NOT acting in their child's best interests.  If this is still a matter under investigation it would seem to me that this sort of action would undermine the investigation.  On the surface, I would view it as a parent trying stir up trouble - possibly with the intent of getting some sort of financial settlement from The Cadets.  This really is not what you do if you truly care about your child and about doing what is right.

Your comments are sensible. FYI, the letter from the mother, which includes the police report and the Child Protective Services report, is on the reddit page for drum corps. (I don't have a reddit account, but you don't need one to read this material.) At some point, the family asked the Cadets for a settlement. It appears that in May, the Cadets responded with a settlement offer, contingent upon the family signing a non-disclosure agreement. Obviously that didn't happen.

This is getting ridiculous.  Could this be a case of allegations being made against a corps that had already dealt with sexual abuse within it's ranks for financial gain?  

Edited by bluesman
grammar
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bluesman said:

This is getting ridiculous.  I sincerely hope that DCI and the powers that be aren't using the Vatican's handling of sexual abuse allegations against priest  as a model of how to respond to this type of situation.  

Could you be more specific? If the Cadets' board chair is telling the truth, they took all appropriate actions. Are you saying that he's lying?