New Cadets Sexual Assault Accusation

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Your comments are sensible. FYI, the letter from the mother, which includes the police report and the Child Protective Services report, is on the reddit page for drum corps. (I don't have a reddit account, but you don't need one to read this material.) At some point, the family asked the Cadets for a settlement. It appears that in May, the Cadets responded with a settlement offer, contingent upon the family signing a non-disclosure agreement. Obviously that didn't happen.

reading the letter, I have a questions...who is really in charge? the mother or the guardian?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spartans87 said:

Frankly, the mother of the victim should be investigated by CPS.  What parent in their right mind, puts out the email she did?  This kid already allegedly had to deal with a situation, and now has to deal with not just the situation again, but the entire drum corps world knowing about it and what appears in some way, to be a money grab by his mother?  This mother is off her rocker and not thinking about her son if her way to get what she wants is throwing that email out in public.  That is just unconscionable to me.

I’m a survivor and the only thing my parents and I wanted when we went to court was justice.  And we didn’t get that.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

44 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I saw a screenshot this morning from two days after the alleged incident. A picture is worth a thousand words.   

This guardian seems a little sketchy to me. 

and no mention of the young man since that time on his page, though a few references to the new corps. I bet that corps is thrilled to have been mentioned

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

and no mention of the young man since that time on his page, though a few references to the new corps. I bet that corps is thrilled to have been mentioned

I can only imagine.  They must be beside themselves. 

I feel sorry for the person involved and the Cadets.  Something seems fishy to me.  I don't like how the mother/guardian put this out there in public.  It's almost that she upset that her child didn't make the Cadets this year.  

• Thanks 1

Time to watch some drum corps this evening. The scores are getting tight.

In the meantime, some of your folks are very well connected to the Cadets it appears.

Perhaps we can slow the dialogue.  Can someone get hold of the Cadet's policies and post them here? In their release from probation from  DCI there are quotes from the Executive Director,  the director of the Cadets and the Board Chair. All reference the great steps taken , the policies in place, and other such improvements.

Can we see those policies? 

For me, this is not about the mom, the guardian, or who got cut. I guess the real question is, how was this allowed to occur, assuming it did and what exactly was the response of the Cadets.

I believe I am reading that both kids marched championships so, they were still on site right? 

I imagine these questions will not be answered for some time. But, if one of you who speak to Scott can post the policies I think that might calm the nerves of many. 

Any chance?

33 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Sure, but there was no reason to engage with her directly. None. Bad mistake.

never said they were perfect in what they did. 

23 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

For those of you just jumping into the thread and don't want to read the whole thing let me offer this summary:

1. There was an incident at Cadets last summer involving two minors that included an accusation and investigation of sexual assault.
  2. Everyone agreed early in the thread that there isn't enough information to comment and to allow the Cadets to respond and not make any assumptions of wrong doing on their part which is smart.
  3. However it is apparent that those same feelings of assigning guilt and assuming the worst is not to be extended to the victim or the victim's parents in this case by most in this thread as they are assigning egregious motives to those two very flippantly and with no remorse. They are making assumptions with none of the same level of information they are requiring others to have to speak negatively of The Cadets.
  4. If you thought people learned their lesson with what happened last year you are sadly mistaken.
  5. The circling of the wagons has begun.
  6. Vomit....

or some of us have pointed out flaws on both sides. But why let those facts get in the way of a good DCP "I'm offended" rant by someone that keeps coming in and offering their opinion and casting blame?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

For those of you just jumping into the thread and don't want to read the whole thing let me offer this summary:

1. There was an incident at Cadets last summer involving two minors that included an accusation and investigation of sexual assault.
  2. Everyone agreed early in the thread that there isn't enough information to comment and to allow the Cadets to respond and not make any assumptions of wrong doing on their part which is smart.
  3. However it is apparent that those same feelings of assigning guilt and assuming the worst is not to be extended to the victim or the victim's parents in this case by most in this thread as they are assigning egregious motives to those two very flippantly and with no remorse. They are making assumptions with none of the same level of information they are requiring others to have to speak negatively of The Cadets.
  4. If you thought people learned their lesson with what happened last year you are sadly mistaken.
  5. The circling of the wagons has begun.
  6. Vomit....

I doubted you'd make it through a recap in an unbiased way; this list of your opinions is noted, and is just and only that.

You can't read morality into other people's hearts because everyone's morality is colored a little differently.  Thank goodness.

Edit to add: I honor your opinion and I realize your intent is positive and directed at the alleged victim.

Edited by garfield