New Cadets Sexual Assault Accusation

53 minutes ago, EricS said:

I'm just curious, does anyone know the age of the minor that was approached.

Sorry  for being late to this discussion, but without having to read all 27 pages of comments, was the kid approached or attacked?  There is a huge difference.

The "victim" was 17, the "attacker" was 16.  (they were within 1-2 months of age of each other).

Just now, PamahoNow said:

The "victim" was 17, the "attacker" was 16.  (they were within 1-2 months of age of each other).

thank you

9 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

So that means they both could have legally consented to sexual activity with each other depending on local statutes, correct?

20 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

Page 5 point 9:

After receiving audition videos of my son’s marching and playing, my son was offered

membership in three other world class drum and bugle corps within seven days of being

released from the Cadets. My son is currently marching as an upper-lead trumpet in xxx

xxx DBC,

that says offers, not cut as was mentioned earlier. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Room Assignments and Gym Configurations for Sleeping
When assigning roommates, such as in residence halls, or a hotel, roommates should always be of the same gender (unless they are a married couple) and age group as follows:

• Adults age 22 and over
  • Program participants age 18‐21
  • Program participants age 17 and under

Program participants may only share a room with another program participant of the same age group and gender. Staff and volunteers may only share a room with another staff member of the same gender, with the exception of married couples.

As a rule, one person per bed or sleeping bag for sleeping, except in the case of married couples only. Each person must be assigned to their own bed. Double, triple, and quad room configurations with twin Page 2 of 4 beds are all permitted. Double, queen, and king beds are permitted, but only one person per bed may be assigned, with the exception of married couples. Roll‐away cots are permitted.

In the case of using a school gym and sleeping bags for a sleeping area for drum corps, the gym must be divided into quadrants or areas as follows:

• Male corps members age 18‐21
  • Male corps members age 17 and under
  • Female corps members age 18‐21
  • Female corps members age 17 and under

per whats been released it was 2 to a bed at the hotel

The police report says that the corps director told them that four members were assigned to a room with two beds, but that two of them were supposed to be sleeping on (separate) air mattresses. (Which I think is covered by the "Roll-away cots are permitted" line above.) However, apparently in such cases, the two people assigned to air mattresses often sleep on the beds anyway -- with the permission of their roommates.

That's how I read it, at least.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

So that means they both could have legally consented to sexual activity with each other depending on local statutes, correct?

And consent would end as soon as someone says no. Not getting your point here

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

You say so many reasonable things that could help people, and then destroy your own credibility with nonsense like this.  

No seriously, defamation can be pretty hard to prove. Lots of things that laypeople (of which I am one) tend to think are defamatory are not.

Anyway, here are some resources for those who wish to argue in more detail about whether or not Cadets would have a case here:

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/defamation

https://www.eff.org/issues/bloggers/legal/liability/defamation

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I would disagree.  It helps to know the poster personally but it's not necessary.  You said yourself, and I whole-heartedly agree, that his post history proves his credibility is intact.

Yes, we're friends and friendly rivals on different sides of many aisles, but I admire and appreciate his line of thinking on most all issues even if we disagree.

His credibility is solidly intact from my perspective.

It was a comment made with a light heart and fond intent.  I didn't really mean "destroys".

i think my own post history demonstrates that I am very often not serious.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And consent would end as soon as someone says no. Not getting your point here

I am not arguing that.  I am just trying to confirm that they would have been able to consent in the first place.  That is all.  That would be different than a 21 year old and a 14 year old, where age-gap and age of parties and age of the younger individual would prevent consent from being allowed legally in the first place.

Haven't read all of the past few pages, but I think it's worth emphasizing that the police report (quite rightly) describes the alleged incident as "rape". We keep referring here to "sexual harassment" or sometimes "sexual assault", but we should remember the seriousness of what was alleged.