Ankeny, IA - Wednesday, July 10, 2019

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That might make for an interesting discussion (for anyone to respond): if you had to do an all-Beatles show but couldn't use any of the songs they play in this year's show, what would you use?

For reference, I think this is what they play:

1. A medley of "Strawberry Fields", "Penny Lane", "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", "Revolution #9", "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", "A Day in the Life", the drum section from "The End", and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"

2. "Eleanor Rigby"

3. "Within You Without You"

4. "Blackbird" (with a brief quote of "Dear Prudence" at the end)

5. A medley of "Come Together" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"

6. "The End" plus the final chord from "A Day in the Life" (but not nearly as long as on the album)

What am I missing? The DCI program book that's posed in the 2019 Programs thread here also lists these songs as part of their repertoire: "Love Me Do", "Here Comes the Sun", "Hey Jude", "What happens Now?", and "With a Little Help from my Friends". (1) Where are those songs in the show? I don't hear them. (2) What is "What Happens Now?" I can't find a Beatles song by that title. There is a Beatles song called "What Goes On?" on Rubber Soul. Is that the song they mean?

Also, some notable parts of Bluecoats' show doesn't really sound like Beatles arrangements at all. As others have noted, the four-part trumpet feature in "Eleanor Rigby" sounds like an excerpt from their 2013 and 2015 shows. And the fast standstill section in the middle of "Within You Without You", plus the chanted section after -- what is that?

But the Beatles had 20 number one hits on the U.S. pop charts, more than anyone else (and in only seven years), so there are plenty of choices.

"Here Comes the Sun" is a mellophone quote in the "Within You, Without You" section.

In that same section, the chanted parts are supposed to be reminiscent of the drumspeak from their 2005 show "Caravan."

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Incognito365 said:

Who?
What?
Where?
Why?

These are the questions that keep me up at night...

You said it has been done.  So, tell us when.  Or are you only hoping it has been done, so CC can do it this year?  It was your claim, not mine.  I do not know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

giphy.gif

I love Terry Crews! White Chicks 2 is currently in the works and I could not be more excited!!!

23 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

What kind of metal?

Adamantium.

14 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I felt the same about 2011 Blue Devils.  The show was based on songs by Burt Bacharach.  They added so much extra stuff to the brass parts in order to get the demand up that the songs became almost unrecognizable.

I had never heard those songs before, so in my silly mind those are the original versions :inlove: I guess it's time for me to go listen to that source music 

40 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yeah, Bloos book sacrifices music for technical demand. It’s like one big technical exercise. Hate to break to to you Bloo’s designers, but the Beatles were better writers and arrangers than you. I’m so sick of music being ruined for the sake of demand. Everyone does it, but I think Vanguard has the better musical book of the two.

We seem to have been thinking about this at the same time.

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

My point is it has never happened.

oops, history getting in the way of a good theory?

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

####.  I loved Ball Four. 

I posted this because Bouton wanted to report not just about MLB or the NFl but local sports like baseball, wrestling -and yes he did- he gave the scores for a local Drum and Bugle Corps show.  I don't remember the year.  RIP

• Like 1