explain to a 5th grader: sound design/engineering and the flo

I know this has been discussed in the past but I would appreciate it if any sound engineers on the forum could comment on improvements in sound design and how the sound is fed into the flo feed.

Is flo taking the output from each corps' soundboard? Or is flo using their own audio feed from their own mixer?

I noticed high boom mics on the sidelines on last nights' flo from Ankeney - are those mics going into the corps' board so the sound engineer from each corps can manage the levels on those mics?

I thought the sound from the flo was really good last night - the samples and digital sound from the front line sounded as if it were coming right in from the corps' audio out on their mixing board -- not as if it were being picked up from mics --

Thanks for any insight on this - it would be neat if flo and DCI did a behind the scenes on how the audio is produced for the online and in person audience --

It sounds different for every show, unfortunately.  I thought it was a little muddy last night compared to the previous show.  I honestly think they throw up 3 tall mics and call it a day.  Home viewing has a long ways to go to accurately reproduce a live performance.

2 minutes ago, tedrick said:

Thanks for any insight on this - it would be neat if flo and DCI did a behind the scenes on how the audio is produced for the online and in person audience --

I’m no sound engineer but have noticed three boom stand microphones, center is higher than the left and right. Also smaller microphone stands in front of one speaker array both left and right. Funny Stephan ask the same question yesterday too. I held the remote because the volume changed on every corps and commercial. 

3 minutes ago, Fracker said:

It sounds different for every show, unfortunately.  I thought it was a little muddy last night compared to the previous show.  I honestly think they throw up 3 tall mics and call it a day.  Home viewing has a long ways to go to accurately reproduce a live performance.

hmm.... it would just seem to make sense for the sound techs up front to take a feed off the corps' soundboard and feed it into the flo's sound board --

has anyone else had a hard time hearing the screamers at the end of Bluecoats' show? Is it because their levels aren't up? Or the hornline's levels are too high? Or am I just losing my higher frequency hearing?

8 minutes ago, tedrick said:

hmm.... it would just seem to make sense for the sound techs up front to take a feed off the corps' soundboard and feed it into the flo's sound board --

The problem with that is the corps dont mic everything. The soundboard's output is designed to mix with the live sound coming from the field.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I’m no sound engineer but have noticed three boom stand microphones, center is higher than the left and right. Also smaller microphone stands in front of one speaker array both left and right. Funny Stephan ask the same question yesterday too. I held the remote because the volume changed on every corps and commercial. 

Not to turn this into a Flo-Bash, but even within the same corps' performance, sound levels change. 

"Turn that up!" Followed soon by "Turn that down!" Just keep the remote handy I guess. 

• Like 1

I used to be a sound engineer and primarily focused on live sound. From what I have noticed from Flo is that they throw up just a few mics evenly spaced on the field and then add a couple of mics in front of the few speakers. The problem with this is that most corps now have 4+ speakers and are increasingly sculpting their sound by having the sound output of the soloists come from certain speakers. When Flo mics up a speaker or places their mic towards certain speakers, they often have a very unbalanced sound (e.g. loud soloist vs. very faint sound effects). 

Personally, I don't think Flo has nailed down their technique on sound at all this season. If it's any consolation though, it was way worse last year. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, tedrick said:

I know this has been discussed in the past but I would appreciate it if any sound engineers on the forum could comment on improvements in sound design and how the sound is fed into the flo feed.

In that case, should be a very short thread.

• Haha 1