explain to a 5th grader: sound design/engineering and the flo

25 minutes ago, StuStu said:

The problem with that is the corps dont mic everything. The soundboard's output is designed to mix with the live sound coming from the field.

"Live sound from the field"?  WTHeck is that?

Nothing coming from today's drum corps field is fully analog.  Nothing.

Those stand mics just pump field sound through the speakers so it all ends up at the booth at the same time.

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

hmm.... it would just seem to make sense for the sound techs up front to take a feed off the corps' soundboard and feed it into the flo's sound board --

has anyone else had a hard time hearing the screamers at the end of Bluecoats' show? Is it because their levels aren't up? Or the hornline's levels are too high? Or am I just losing my higher frequency hearing?

Bluecoats have multiple speaker arrays. Flo's TWO smaller mics are generally placed in front of the two primary corps speaker arrays. Bloo does a good job of localizing the soloists sound to the speaker array closest to the soloist -- which may or may not be the speaker array Flo has mic'd.

29 minutes ago, garfield said:

"Live sound from the field"?  WTHeck is that?

Nothing coming from today's drum corps field is fully analog.  Nothing.

Those stand mics just pump field sound through the speakers so it all ends up at the booth at the same time.

Are you saying that if I listen to the "house" mix from the board it would essentially be the same as what I'd hear at the box?

I know they are doing all kinds of sound reinforcement, but my experience is that the live sound of the horn line is still a big component of what I hear in the stands. 

I would assume that there are no 'feeds' coming from corps soundboards into the broadcast line.  It would make the most sense that the mics are a generic capture of the stereo environment, taking in the acoustic space with the sound of instruments and amplifiers mixing together.  The difference in sound may have to do with the placement of corps amplifiers... each corps sets them differently in proximity and directional relationship to the stereo mic array.  Likewise, whatever is mixed into those amps (or not) will alter the volume of the 'corps' at various times within a performance on the feed.

The idea about backing an array of shotgun mics way the heck up is probably the best solution.

Can't imagine that they would be willing to and that corps would be willing to allow their amp feeds to be mixed (and therefore doubled by a direct feed AND mic pickups) by a third party.  Overlaying a direct line of mic'd elements over an accoustic spacial capture of the same amplified elements is asking for trouble.

Edited by cfirwin3

4 minutes ago, StuStu said:

Are you saying that if I listen to the "house" mix from the board it would essentially be the same as what I'd hear at the box?

I know they are doing all kinds of sound reinforcement, but my experience is that the live sound of the horn line is still a big component of what I hear in the stands. 

The "live sound" from the horn line is being pumped through those big speakers and that's what you're hearing in the stands.

A couple of years ago, 'Coats had, what 5 speaker towers on the field and whole sections of the hornline mic'd up.  

40 minutes ago, garfield said:

that's what I thought too -- so if the venue (or flo?) puts up several boom mics, does each corps choose or not choose to put those mics into their soundboard and add them to the mix? Or perhaps they are only used for the flo? I didn't notice if someone was taking down and putting those boom mics up -- so I presume they are just in place for everyone --

It would be fascinating if someone from flo jumped into this conversation --

45 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

In that case, should be a very short thread.

Yeah Well I did not subscribe this year. I hammered them last year for various reasons and remembering back that someone on here told me "no way to get a refund" or something along those lines. Guess what - I got every penny back from them. Turns out I am more stubborn than I thought. 

The lack of quality is really the largest issue I had, and along with few other issues. FEW being a really nice way to put it. 

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

A couple of years ago, 'Coats had, what 5 speaker towers on the field and whole sections of the hornline mic'd up.  

I was at rehearsal on Tuesday and noticed mic pacs on several MMs -- my understanding is that about 20 MMs are on mic and are adjusted as needed by the soundboard operator --

5 minutes ago, StuStu said:

I think he means that you never ONLY hear accoustic sounds any more.  I doubt that's entirely true... but it's probably close to true.  Most groups use 8vb sine synth sounds on the big moments, and there is such frequent use of solo and front ensemble reinforcement that you'd have a hard time finding a moment when nothing is coming through the amps.

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

The "live sound" from the horn line is being pumped through those big speakers and that's what you're hearing in the stands.

This years Couchmen are piping all sound and visuals, the ultimate performance from home.