explain to a 5th grader: sound design/engineering and the flo

6 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Overlaying a direct line of mic'd elements over an accoustic spacial capture of the same amplified elements is asking for trouble.

Well, that is exactly what the majority of corps are now doing when they set up their own mics to amplify portions of the field.

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

The "live sound" from the horn line is being pumped through those big speakers and that's what you're hearing in the stands.

A couple of years ago, 'Coats had, what 5 speaker towers on the field and whole sections of the hornline mic'd up.  

From what I recall, I don't think that was how those amps/mics were utilized.  They were experimenting with a wide front ensemble spread and monitoring for the performers.

Edited by cfirwin3

Just now, cixelsyd said:

Well, that is exactly what the majority of corps are now doing when they set up their own mics to amplify portions of the field.

No, they are mixing their amplification to what can be heard accoustically.  Basic sound reinforcement and synthesis.  What I am talking about is taking the electronic feed of those elements (devoid of the live mix) and then remixing it (for no good reason) with the spacial capture of itself (from amps).  You wouldn't do that.

3 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

No, they are mixing their amplification to what can be heard accoustically. 

During shows/competitions, does the soundboard operator/tech communicate in realtime with a staff member in the box? That would make sense wouldn't it -- ie: "bring up the tubas" "bring up the mellos" ect ect....

1 hour ago, GeneralTsoChicken said:

Why wouldn't you just put shotgun mics at the box and broadcast what the adjudicators actually hear?

That's a very good question, and one that never seems to come up much...and when it does, never seems to have any follow-on discussion...

1 hour ago, GeneralTsoChicken said:

Why wouldn't you just put shotgun mics at the box and broadcast what the adjudicators actually hear?

There are a few videos out there (on YouTube) from the CrownBeat show of a guy in the box recording sound and video (and one video from a drone) and all I have to say is the quality of sound and video is a million times better than anything flow has produced this year by far...now granted this is not a live stream video....but it is really great HD quality...with that said....there must be some room for improvement for flo's broadcast...it's not like it's their first rodeo...they have been doing this for awhile now...perhaps they should consult with the guy from the box...lol   

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, tedrick said:

During shows/competitions, does the soundboard operator/tech communicate in realtime with a staff member in the box? That would make sense wouldn't it -- ie: "bring up the tubas" "bring up the mellos" ect ect....

I have no clue what they are permitted to do.  Ideally, they would mix a stereo feed of the accoustic space from a mic pickup in the stands or at the box.

4 minutes ago, Liahona said:

There are a few videos out there (on YouTube) from the CrownBeat show of a guy in the box recording sound and video (and one video from a drone) and all I have to say is the quality of sound and video is a million times better than anything flow has produced this year by far...now granted this is not a live stream video....but it is really great HD quality...with that said....there must be some room for improvement for flo's broadcast...it's not like it's their first rodeo...they have been doing this for awhile now...perhaps they should consult with the guy from the box...lol   

Thanks for the tip-- those videos are amazing!!!

• Like 1