It’s just standing around. It’s also running around.

4 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

And everybody corp dose this. But it’s getting overdone. How does one judge that? Best runners? Seriously even my favorite corps do this. 

But it isn't just running. Each person has specific counts, leaving and arrival times, pathways and body responsibilities as they move through space. A well choreographed "scatter" isn't really a scatter but a designed and rehearsed design element just as any other drill move. It requires skill both mentally and physically from the marching member just as a drill set from 1988 would for a marcher of that era.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

...or scatter drill for a marcher of that era.

20 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

And everybody corp dose this. But it’s getting overdone. How does one judge that? Best runners? Seriously even my favorite corps do this. 

It's judged the same way that linear drill is judged (but not as linear drill).

Consistency of presentation

Achievement of purpose (effectiveness)

Aesthetics (most important issue)

It's probably a mistake to assume that it's the 'running' that is being adjudicated (as if the judge is looking for something akin to heel to toe rolling technique).  They are looking at the picture and the presentation... they are looking at the investment of movement (these are important to adjudicating drill as well).

Part of the frustration is in the reduction of what they are doing as it relates to one's desired effect of formal marching.

There is no marching in ballet, crew dancing, musical theater production numbers, etc.  Visual performance and technical execution can be more than 'marching' as we know it.

Edit:

Okay... so I lied... The Nutcracker has a considerable amount of uniform marching in it.  No... really.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Okay... so I lied... The Nutcracker has a considerable amount of uniform marching in it.  No... really.

And it's the most popular ballet of all time...coincidence? I think not! haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This activity isn't ballet, theater, crew dancing, cheer or anything like that.

It's marching music's major league...

That's what it's billed as, anyway...

Aww shucks. I'm playing devil's advocate with that one.

Of course there is a kernel of Truth in my statement, but we can do more than just march, but it would be nice not to be compelled to do all those things and be successful competing for a title.

Anyhow I don't want to be anything but respectful, so I'll just say that I mostly agree with you.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

But it isn't just running. Each person has specific counts, leaving and arrival times, pathways and body responsibilities as they move through space. A well choreographed "scatter" isn't really a scatter but a designed and rehearsed design element just as any other drill move. It requires skill both mentally and physically from the marching member just as a drill set from 1988 would for a marcher of that era.

You can put a dress on a horse but at the end of the day it's still a horse 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

I don't think anyone believes its truly ad libbed.  

3 minutes ago, StuStu said:

I don't think anyone believes its truly ad libbed.  

That's, unfortunately for me what the inconsistency of foot strike timing and style screams. I understand that it is all very well planned and rehearsed, but when combined with any multitude of arm, hand, horn, face emotion etc.  motions, it really comes off as "be happy/######/depressed/joyful while rapidly relocating for 16 counts" as you desire.

• Thanks 1