It’s just standing around. It’s also running around.

4 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

For the record, actually clocking my other examples, it looks like Boston's Marimba Spiritual section was right around 205 BPM, Cadets' Holsinger closer at 198 BPM, Cavies' Orawa section at 202 BPM, SCV mello sustain at 201 BPM.

Not bad. But honesly it's just doesn't look as difficult because they don't cover as much field as the pre-prop days. It's a fact the props are basically road blocks.

Compare those shows to Four Corners or Spin Cycle and you'll see what I'm talking about. 

• Like 1

Again, I was just delving into last years' Finalists since your assertion was that we'd have to go "back a few years to find any group marching over 200 BPM", but back even just one year prior to my examples (2018) is the obvious example of Crown's No One to Know One closer (2017), at 204 BPM and a ton of mixed meter thrown in on top of that. The bars regularly switched between 3/4, 6/4, 5/4, 3/4+4/4, & 3/8 time signatures. Again, at 204 BPM. And sustained.

• Like 1

Just now, HolyNOLA said:

Not bad. But honesly it's just doesn't look as difficult because they don't cover as much field as the pre-prop days. It's a fact the props are basically road blocks.

Compare those shows to Four Corners or Spin Cycle and you'll see what I'm talking about. 

No, I get you. I think those look wonderful and extraordinarily difficult. I'm not downplaying the sheer difficulty of those shows, or any of the '90s champions. Your points seem to be that corps today aren't requiring similar levels of difficulty from their members, and I'm asserting that that simply isn't the case.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

I maintain that the observations made in the other threads are universal to all shows.

Assuming that high cam videos are readily available on YouTube, I may take the time to compare the 2000 era Cavaliers to some other programs when I get some time.

The presumption that I am reading in this is that less field coverage means easier program.

I don't think that it logically follows to conclude that... and it can probably be demonstrated with direct comparison.

Edited by cfirwin3

4 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

No, I get you. I think those look wonderful and extraordinarily difficult. I'm not downplaying the sheer difficulty of those shows, or any of the '90s champions. Your points seem to be that corps today aren't requiring similar levels of difficulty from their members, and I'm asserting that that simply isn't the case.

I get your point. But I think it's hit and miss. Santa Claraliers don't exactly scream physical prowess this year. 

Just now, HolyNOLA said:

I get your point. But I think it's hit and miss. Santa Claraliers don't exactly scream physical prowess this year. 

That's an issue of aesthetics... not technical difficulty.

Edited by cfirwin3

6 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

If the only thing that generated effect was pure physical power and speed this activity would be the most boring , uninteresting thing ever. 

• Thanks 1

These threads have been very enjoyable - thanks to the OP for providing such thoughtful topics.

To me - and to some unquantifiable number of other fans - some of this perceived lack of difficulty comes from what visually looks to be not difficult. When you watch the examples of breakneck Cadets or Cavies drill moves from the past that are combined with electrifying music, and then they hit a set with a music impact, it looks more difficult than a corps jazz trotting to a blob set for a quick music hit while the guard is performing individual movements, tosses, etc....to be followed by the same (yes, I know the previous is an oversimplification). Furthermore, the lack of unison movement (feet, body, equipment, etc.) contributes to the feel of what is being done now not seeming difficult.  Even though we know that it isn't haphazard and random, it appears to be - it looks fuzzy, unformed, imprecise - which I guess can easily contribute to the impression of not being difficult.  I must confess to wanting more field visual "WOW" moments (e.g. SCV 17 flag visual) to go along with the incredible musical performance we're being treated to.  Emphasizing the individual visual movement at the expense of unison movement takes away some of the feel of excellence that drum corps has always had...to me....but I still love it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

If the only thing that generated effect was pure physical power and speed this activity would be the most boring , uninteresting thing ever. 

I disagree. Instead of ballet dancing we should be incorporating rugby scrums and football plays into shows. 

Edited by HolyNOLA

5 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

I disagree. Instead of ballet dancing we should be incorporating rugby scrums and football plays into shows. 

I'd love to see a Spider 2 Y Banana drill set.