It’s just standing around. It’s also running around.

Just now, jjeffeory said:

That ship has sailed.

But who's steering it?

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But who's steering it?

WGI folk I'd imagine...

Everyone jump aboard!

18 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Could you elaborate on what unique or different means?

Trying to think of good examples top of my head. Probably think of really good ones after I post this lol.

Yankee Rebels did what they called a Minstrel Show (hate that term). 4 different songs including soft shoe dance by two sops. In between guy came out with big cards to introduce the next “act”. 

1974 Troopers playing about 12 musical styles of “Yellow Rose of Texas”. I gotta find that on it as only remember operatic and Dixieland.

My Corps did big band selections and some of those were too slow to march to. 

1975 Scouts “McArthur Park”. Not a great example of different but rest back and tube it out. Spirit of Atlanta playing Buddy Rich’s version of “Sweet Georgia Brown” is in this category too.

Other than that just coming up with really melodic pieces just too #### slow to march to or moving corps around would mug up the sound.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Oh sweetheart, I know what drill is. Do you? Apparently not, because you're unable to recognize that there is in fact plenty of it in my six examples despite props on the field.

Bless your heart. Take it easy on the red bulls. 

7 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

And people versed in modern day drum corps can lead the old nags to water but we can't make them drink... 🙂

Get off my lawn!

7 hours ago, HolyNOLA said:

At least we marched at played at the same time. *gasp*

Dats going to leave a scar. 

3 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Absolutely. And I can't tell you how much I appreciate your two videos on this subject, @cfirwin3. You've really put in the work & analysis. Love it. Apparently @HolyNOLA refuses to take his head out of the sand. It was only drum corps and only difficult when he marched. It's rare on DCP to find someone criticizing the "lack of difficulty" from both those who are currently marching AND those who marched before him! And then posts Trump memes when facts are brought to the table. I guess I shouldn't feed the trolls.

Trump memes got you triggered? Or was it ,,,, these here modern day corps have a giant f ###### zigggg zaggg prop splitting the field and causing the "drill" to come off disjointed? Or was it the half moon giant trash can without Oscar the grouchy in it,,,, that was rocking back and forth for no apparent visual reason? 

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I have a question about timing of that photo, in which the subject appears to be pretending either to be sleeping or praying, but I'm not going to ask it.

Seems like the President needed a nap. 

Hmmm, I think we're getting away from the spirit of the post, which I was afraid of contributing to doing. It's turning into an old versus new show design thang.... 

...and I see some biases and generalizations made on both sides of the old versus new.

Thing is there are quite a few eras of visual aesthetic and design choices, even recently.

I  see big visual design changes "generally" as:

Pre-80 - A different world.

80-83 - Big, symmetrical and slower, forms. Less sets

84-89 - Asymmetric drill, adding velocity and drill effects, big forms and unison guard work.

90-93 - More velocity, sets, drill effects, experimentation from guards with different types of equipment and adding dance more often.

94-99 - Adding even more velocity, guards adding more dance, big drill moments

00-10 - Explosion of velocity, effects in drill, big drill moments, more dancing in the guard

11-15 - More guard driving the visual with more individual work, less velocity in general, staging, simultaneous responsibility language, pits taking on a lot more playing responsibilities

16-18 -  Props, guard, added variety, staging, dense drill

19 -  Staging, partitioning the field, Props like crazy, less "marching", more variety, dense drill that is difficult to read.

So when we're comparing, shows with different aesthetics we should be aware that people are going to be looking at it from different lenses, and their bias is going to show too.