It’s just standing around. It’s also running around.

31 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

Well you guys didn't march very fast but that high step marching is no joke. 

I don’t even try to compare I just try to enjoy whatever is done.... I’d hope one these threads goes back further but quality of video shows up bad on HD lot of times 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

I responded with six examples from last year alone. You haven’t touched that post yet.

I didn't see anything above moderate level difficulty in any of those. Of course it's hard to march difficult drill when there are tons of props in your way. 

11 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

I didn't see anything above moderate level difficulty in any of those. Of course it's hard to march difficult drill when there are tons of props in your way. 

Your specific criteria: "when's the last time any corps marched (and played) for a sustained period of time above 200 BPM? I bet you have to go a few years back." I provided six examples of that from last year alone. We can get into difficulty levels, but now you're moving the goalposts. You asked for something specific, and I gave you six examples. Again, just from last year, and just from the finalist groups.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

Your specific criteria: "when's the last time any corps marched (and played) for a sustained period of time above 200 BPM? I bet you have to go a few years back." I provided six examples of that from last year alone. We can get into difficulty levels, but now you're moving the goalposts. You asked for something specific, and I gave you six examples. Again, just from last year, and just from the finalist groups.

JS83864864_REUTERS_US-Republican-preside

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

I'd just like to note that playing and marching for extended periods of time at 200+ bpm is a bit of a 'high bar' expectation.

A championship show in any era need not ever do this... It's not normal or necessary to demonstrate difficulty and/or artistry.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

I'd just like to note that playing and marching for extended periods of time at 200+ bpm is a bit of a 'high bar' expectation.

A championship show in any era need not ever do this... It's not normal or necessary to demonstrate difficulty and/or artistry.

Absolutely. And I can't tell you how much I appreciate your two videos on this subject, @cfirwin3. You've really put in the work & analysis. Love it. Apparently @HolyNOLA refuses to take his head out of the sand. It was only drum corps and only difficult when he marched. It's rare on DCP to find someone criticizing the "lack of difficulty" from both those who are currently marching AND those who marched before him! And then posts Trump memes when facts are brought to the table. I guess I shouldn't feed the trolls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

Absolutely. And I can't tell you how much I appreciate your two videos on this subject, @cfirwin3. You've really put in the work & analysis. Love it. Apparently @HolyNOLA refuses to take his head out of the sand. It was only drum corps and only difficult when he marched. It's rare on DCP to find someone criticizing the "lack of difficulty" from both those who are currently marching AND those who marched before him! And then posts Trump memes when facts are brought to the table. I guess I shouldn't feed the trolls.

Ok then. Let's look at one of your examples, "entire bluecoats closer." Not 200+ BPM by any means. You're more than welcome to measure though and report back. 

6 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

Ok then. Let's look at one of your examples, "entire bluecoats closer." Not 200+ BPM by any means. You're more than welcome to measure though and report back. 

I clock their entire 3/4 section beginning the closer, up until Olivia comes in singing God Bless the Child, at a sustained 191 BPM. So, you are correct --- not 200+ BPM, although I think the notion that anything above 200 is insane and 9 clicks below is tedious and easy is absolutely ludicrous.

For the record, actually clocking my other examples, it looks like Boston's Marimba Spiritual section was right around 205 BPM, Cadets' Holsinger closer at 198 BPM, Cavies' Orawa section at 202 BPM, SCV mello sustain at 201 BPM.