It’s just standing around. It’s also running around.

50 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

No, I get you. I think those look wonderful and extraordinarily difficult. I'm not downplaying the sheer difficulty of those shows, or any of the '90s champions. Your points seem to be that corps today aren't requiring similar levels of difficulty from their members, and I'm asserting that that simply isn't the case.

This returns to a point that cfirwin made in one of the other threads: difficulty may or may not also be satisfying to the audience.

Or figure skating has that name because competitors were, for many years, required to skate figures on the ice, whose accuracy would be closely examined. But television gave little coverage to that portion of the sport (worth as much as 60% of a skater's total score for several decades), and it made audiences suspicious of the judging that something they hadn't seen was determining the outcomes.

I see gak27 has made a similar point above.

2 hours ago, HolyNOLA said:

That's the last 55 seconds of Cadets' 1999 show. What the brass is doing:

First second: moving and playing

Next nine seconds: standing still and playing

Next ten seconds: moving but not playing

Next four seconds: moving and playing, but slowly

Next five seconds: moving but not playing

Next twenty seconds: moving and playing, this time fast -- although there's a little sleight of hand (or foot)

Last five seconds: standing still and playing

I like that show more than a lot of people (including the original composer, who told me so), and that section is pretty impressive, but we ought to be clear about what it includes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyNOLA said:

JS83864864_REUTERS_US-Republican-preside

I have a question about timing of that photo, in which the subject appears to be pretending either to be sleeping or praying, but I'm not going to ask it.

22 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I like that show more than a lot of people (including the original composer, who told me so), and that section is pretty impressive, but we ought to be clear about what it includes.

let’s be honest, that kind of drill is a thing of the past. 

4 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Just a quick glance at last year alone, SCV their last 30 seconds until the final chord (everyone other than the mellos), Bloo all throughout their closer, Boston's entire Marimba Spiritual section, Cavies entire Orawa section before they went into the Rufus Wainwright song, Cadets' entire Holsinger closer, the tempo bump and rotating box and brass licks in Crossmen's closer, and that's just from the Finalists...

Since Bluecoats '18 became the particular subject of contention, I watched to see if they "marched (and played) for a sustained period of time above 200 BPM", as HN requested examples of, in their closer. I didn't have a timer handy, but it was clearly above 180 bpm* and for more than 30 seconds, at least some of the brass are moving that fast while playing.

But I can also see how audience members might not realize that. It's near the back of the field, partly obscured by props, and it's pretty soft. (Also the drill isn't particularly interesting.)

Edit: And after typing that, I see that you timed it at 191 bpm. Also I didn't go far enough: there is more drill while playing at that speed later in the closer, including a little running while playing, in front of the props.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Just now, HolyNOLA said:

Maybe? Let's say you were a drum corps fan in the early 1980s who really liked the "concert number" that you remembered from just a few years earlier. You probably thought it was "a thing of the past". But what are people complaining about today? "They stand still!" In other words, the return of the concert number.

So do be sure to check in again in 2055.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Maybe? Let's say you were a drum corps fan in the early 1980s who really liked the "concert number" that you remembered from just a few years earlier. You probably thought it was "a thing of the past". But what are people complaining about today? "They stand still!" In other words, the return of the concert number.

So do be sure to check in again in 2055.

Hmm maybe time for another thread but what do corps play during stand still moments today?  Some concert numbers were a chance for corps to do something unique or different. What goes on today that would be different from the rest of the show?

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Hmm maybe time for another thread but what do corps play during stand still moments today?  Some concert numbers were a chance for corps to do something unique or different. What goes on today that would be different from the rest of the show?

Could you elaborate on what unique or different means?

54 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

...for the whole show, yea!

For short bursts, maybe, but I hope not.

We'll see when people put in their complete drill. It's not going to be for the whole show though. That ship has sailed.