Is smoking still allowed on tour?

Back in the late 70's, it seemed like half of my corps smoked, and many staff too. I had a good friend, a horn player, who smoked in the shower, to the amazement of us all. We got regular lectures about picking up the butts at the schools where we stayed. I don't recall any lectures about the evils of smoking. 

Edited by quietcity
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I remember that the high school I attended there was an outdoor (between 2 buildings) smoking area for students.  The idea was to keep smoking out of the restrooms.

I bet I could count on one hand the number of US high schools that have student smoking area these days.

I would be surprised if any do. My high school had a similar atrium style area that had originally served that purpose. When I was in school it was just for show and the doors stayed locked. Smoking was/is illegal on the school campus. I graduated in 2004 too, so not yesterday.

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I remember that the high school I attended there was an outdoor (between 2 buildings) smoking area for students.  The idea was to keep smoking out of the restrooms.

I bet I could count on one hand the number of US high schools that have student smoking area these days.

In both districts where I a subbing these days, smoking on school property is forbidden for everybody, from the administration to teachers to custodians to students...and anybody visiting the schools. I bet that is not unusual either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I mean, I don't see where stepping onto the sidewalk that surrounds the facility would be considered leaving the housing site. That's just me personally though.

If you are standing on school property, my guess is smoking would not be permitted at all. Even standing on a sidewalk.

YEA!, for example, has a bullet in their code of conduct for adults that prohibits smoking while in the presence of "youth"...I am guessing the same applies to the "youth" as well. This is YEA-wide, hence the general term "youth", as it would include USBands and Music is Cool Functions. 

• I will refrain from the use of all alcohol, tobacco, and nicotine products while serving YEA!, particularly while in the presence of youth or while representing YEA! publicly.

2 hours ago, quietcity said:

Back in the late 70's, it seemed like half the corps smoked, and many staff too. I had a good friend, a horn player, who smoked in the shower, to the amazement of us all. We got regular lectures about picking up the butts at the schools where we stayed. I don't recall any lectures about the evils of smoking. 

It is FAR different today as far as condoning any smoking at all.

I also know of schools that housed corps back then that refused to open their doors in subsequent years, due to things like butts, booze, and general slobbiness. Corps have learned the hard way about leaving their sites in good shape, but at least they seem to have learned. It is tough enough to find sites in any case.

3 minutes ago, MikeD said:

If you are standing on school property, my guess is smoking would not be permitted at all. Even standing on a sidewalk.

I mean, schools, hospitals, government buildings all the same have the "No smoking beyond this" signs in the grass along the sidewalk, so the sidewalk is fair game. Now, if you step past the sign with a cigarette in hand then they can say something. At least that's how it is in Kentucky. The sidewalk along the road is part of the road, be it the state department, county, etc. and the only rules that apply to it are those of the department that takes care of said sidewalk. That's why you see nurses or government workers smoking along those sidewalks and generally have a "butt can" beside one of the signs.

2 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I mean, schools, hospitals, government buildings all the same have the "No smoking beyond this" signs in the grass along the sidewalk, so the sidewalk is fair game. Now, if you step past the sign with a cigarette in hand then they can say something. At least that's how it is in Kentucky. The sidewalk along the road is part of the road, be it the state department, county, etc. and the only rules that apply to it are those of the department that takes care of said sidewalk. That's why you see nurses or government workers smoking along those sidewalks and generally have a "butt can" beside one of the signs.

I guess each state has its own rules. I have not seen such signs or cans here in NJ. Maybe it is due to the idea that southern states depend on tobacco to an extent for revenue, so they are not as tough on banning it as other states.

Regardless...it would probably not be viewed well if a bunch of corps members are standing in full view of people passing by lighting up, even if standing on the sidewalk. 

7 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I guess each state has its own rules. I have not seen such signs or cans here in NJ. Maybe it is due to the idea that southern states depend on tobacco to an extent for revenue, so they are not as tough on banning it as other states.

Regardless...it would probably not be viewed well if a bunch of corps members are standing in full view of people passing by lighting up, even if standing on the sidewalk. 

Corps isn't relevant to most of the population around here, due to not having a corps, so most they would just see 18+ year olds smoking, which is pretty normal here. I get what you're saying though, but I've been to 32 states and I've seen the "butt cans" in every state, including California the most progressive state (I actually took a picture of it because the saying on it was funny). I'm sure you have them, probably just don't notice them because you don't smoke? 

Edited by Incognito365

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yep, my high school's "smoke hole" was just outside the cafeteria door, so every time someone went in or out the door, the smoke would waft in. We also had a rifle range under the stadium bleachers that the ROTC used. Imagine a gun firing range on a high school campus these days!

Just now, oldsoprano said:

Yep, my high school's "smoke hole" was just outside the cafeteria door, so every time someone went in or out the door, the smoke would waft in. We also had a rifle range under the stadium bleachers that the ROTC used. Imagine a gun firing range on a high school campus these days!

My alma mater has an Archery team, so I mean...it's not guns, but still. We also had a court yard in the middle of the school to eat lunch and was used for smoke break. Now it just sits empty.