Is smoking still allowed on tour?

I smoked until 1983 and quit cold turkey and haven't had a puff since. Only fine Cigars now. I remember smoking cigs on airplanes, in steak joints right after dinner, and in drum corps on the bus, in schools, everywhere. We were allowed to smoke in uniform too. Times have changed.

11 hours ago, Cappybara said:

My opinion: if you smoke, you shouldn't participate in DCI or any athletic team. Save the spot for someone who actually cares about their body 

Do not smoke, do not like smoking. Disallow it on the grounds and other appendages of drum corps. Other than that ,stay out of ones personal life

7 hours ago, MikeD said:

It is FAR different today as far as condoning any smoking at all.

I also know of schools that housed corps back then that refused to open their doors in subsequent years, due to things like butts, booze, and general slobbiness. Corps have learned the hard way about leaving their sites in good shape, but at least they seem to have learned. It is tough enough to find sites in any case.

Well said, Mike.

Times certainly have changed. Heck, the NJ Catholic high school I attended in the 1970s had a smokers' lounge for teachers and students. LOL 

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Well said, Mike.

Times certainly have changed. Heck, the NJ Catholic high school I attended in the 1970s had a smokers' lounge for teachers and students. LOL 

In the converted warehouse they call an office building where I work here are the changes since early 80s.

smoke at your desk

smoke in one of the bathrooms (not desk)

smoke in one designated bathroom

smoke outside

smoke outside no closer to door than 20 feet

Building at Norfolk naval base has “scenic” smokers lounge. People work on top floor of 6 story building so go up steps to the roof. Beautiful view of water and the ships especially since near carrier row

Edited by JimF-LowBari

11 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I remember that the high school I attended there was an outdoor (between 2 buildings) smoking area for students.  The idea was to keep smoking out of the restrooms.

I bet I could count on one hand the number of US high schools that have student smoking area these days.

We had one up until I graduated high school as well. We would go out and smoke with the nuns. I would assume that you're probably right. When I marched DCI and even into DCA, the rule was that you couldn't have anything identifiable to the corps when you were smoking and of course you could only smoke in designated areas. 

• Like 1

Mid 70s memory hit of snare drummer Donny who had just lit up when told it was warm up time. Walks over with cig in his mouth and when asked if he was going to ditch it replied “paid good money for this” and kept on puffing. Smoked it hands free and didn’t miss a beat during warm up. When done turned to side and spit out out about 10 feet. This was a parking lot so the butt had plenty of company 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, bluehull said:

Do not smoke, do not like smoking. Disallow it on the grounds and other appendages of drum corps. Other than that ,stay out of ones personal life

Did I say "forbid" these people from marching or playing on athletic teams? I just said that they shouldn't. 

If mms have $ to do cigarettes or other drugs/pills/weed/drink on tour, ST, or during winter camp season, admins should no longer have any reservations which have caused many  pulling one's hair out for ways to prevent upping tour fees.

Such mms, suffering from these addictive personality behaviors, are as duplicitous as the kid I made the mistake of sponsoring last summer who begged monies on tour for expenses, only for me to learn during the same tour he was saving for his Christmas vacation with a trip to Germany; he boasted it to his section mates who let me know what was really going on. Then he hid behind his corps director when the duped sponsors..the sacrificing senior citizens on limited incomes wanted their monies back or to go to a more honest mm. Never again. 

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

If mms have $ to do cigarettes or other drugs/pills/weed/drink on tour, ST, or during winter camp season, admins should no longer have any reservation about pulling one's hair out for ways to prevent upping tour fees.

Wow. Communist much? 

The marching members' financial situation is of absolutely no concern to any drum corps staff.