Is smoking still allowed on tour?

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

I'm 28 and have been smoking since I was 15 (underage, I know, whatever), 12 years. I teach visual at the high school level. I can still get around just as well as these youngsters, sometimes better. Smoking affects different people at different paces. Sorry it did that to you, but just because you couldn't hang doesn't mean the next person couldn't. If they can pass a physical, then they should be able to march.

Yeah, I was in the Airborne Infantry and would routinely chain-smoke 2-3 cigarettes before a 10 mile run. I was still fast.

I would've been faster if I didn't smoke. I would've had more endurance if I didn't smoke. I could still crush PT tests while I smoked, but I'd have been able to crush them harder if I didn't smoke.

Smoking has a detrimental effect on every human. If it hasn't caught up to you yet, it will. You do not have a magical body that is immune to it. No one does. It's actually caught up to you already, you just aren't aware because you've been smoking for basically your entire adult life.

Edited by jeffmolnar
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Yeah, I was in the Airborne Infantry and would routinely chain-smoke 2-3 cigarettes before a 10 mile run. I was still fast.

I would've been faster if I didn't smoke. I would've had more endurance if I didn't smoke. I could still crush PT tests while I smoked, but I'd have been able to crush them harder if I didn't smoke.

Smoking has a detrimental effect on every human. If it hasn't caught up to you yet, it will. You do not have a magical body that is immune to it. No one does. It's actually caught up to you already, you just aren't aware because you've been smoking for basically your entire adult life.

Thats not what I'm saying and you know it. You're against smoking, we get it. Just because you are doesn't mean I or corps have to be. That also doesn't mean that someone who smokes can't keep up with someone who doesn't, which is my point. Continue to preach to the choir, but its a moot point. I'm not gonna quit smoking because you tell me it's bad for my health when my doctor has told me that every month since I was 15 and has more credibility. A corps isn't going to not let someone march because you think they should because they smoke and think they can't keep up. If they out perform everyone during tryouts then they should make it. Period, point blank, just because they suck on a cancer stick doesn't make them any less talented.

2 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Thats not what I'm saying and you know it. You're against smoking, we get it. Just because you are doesn't mean I or corps have to be. That also doesn't mean that someone who smokes can't keep up with someone who doesn't, which is my point. Continue to preach to the choir, but its a moot point. I'm not gonna quit smoking because you tell me it's bad for my health when my doctor has told me that every month since I was 15 and has more credibility. A corps isn't going to not let someone march because you think they should because they smoke and think they can't keep up. If they out perform everyone during tryouts then they should make it. Period, point blank, just because they suck on a cancer stick doesn't make them any less talented.

Corps cut people for being overweight every year.

If they want to cut people for smoking, they should. I know I certainly would for brass players.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

I love how people think they're immune to science. :laughing:

2 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

Everyone who has candy in their bus box at San Antonio should be kicked out of DCI because they don't care about their body!!! 

Sorry I hit you so close to home bud.

2 hours ago, HolyNOLA said:

1. If a kid can't afford dues, stay at home

2. The kids financial situation is of no concern to a corps. 

On a personal note, smoking is trashy AF 

A kid's financial situation is of concern to the corps if they want to give needs based scholarships to certain kids and self damaging habits (both physically and financially) like these should be taken into account for those instances 

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

A kid's financial situation is of concern to the corps if they want to give needs based scholarships to certain kids and self damaging habits (both physically and financially) like these should be taken into account for those instances 

I'm wholly against drum corps scholarships. Sorry. 

11 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

I'm wholly against drum corps scholarships. Sorry. 

In that case this activity would only cater to the affluent and the privileged  (which it already predominately does)

• Like 1