Is smoking still allowed on tour?

10 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

Do country clubs offer scholarships? 

You counter with his assertion that not offering scholarships would only cater to the affluent and privileged, by citing an example that only caters to the affluent and privileged?

Big brain arguments.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I'm 28 and have been smoking since I was 15 (underage, I know, whatever), 12 years. I teach visual at the high school level. I can still get around just as well as these youngsters, sometimes better. Smoking affects different people at different paces. Sorry it did that to you, but just because you couldn't hang doesn't mean the next person couldn't. If they can pass a physical, then they should be able to 

A tobacco user passing a physical and being permitted to march is not the same as being permitted to use tobacco products on tour. I'd imagine that you are not allowed to (and hope that you'd choose not to) use tobacco products when teaching high school students or on most school's grounds. I also hope that one day overwhelming objective science would prevent subjective anecdotal examples from being used as arguements in public forums.

Edited by mrk
missing text in first sentence, form = forum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Lol. So if you can afford $5 pack of smokes you can afford the full amount of the corps fees? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Not even in the same ballpark, in the same city, in the same state, in the same country, on the same continent.

Lol.

Last time I glanced at cigarette prices, they were $7.50 - $8.50 per pack. Amazing how being in different states affects the price.

Anyhow, I agree with you.

I'm on the side of personal freedom. If you can do the work, your personal activities are none of my business even if they are harmful to you.

If it has an effect on other people, then it's a problem.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

If it has an effect on other people, then it's a problem.

Ignoring the fact that secondhand smoke is quite harmful, if a smoker is decreasing his/her lung capacity and compromising his or her peak ability to play at a championship level, then they are having an effect on the overall performance of the corps. 

1 hour ago, jeffmolnar said:

You counter with his assertion that not offering scholarships would only cater to the affluent and privileged, by citing an example that only caters to the affluent and privileged?

Big brain arguments.

Hi Jeff, I like you. Have we met? 😊

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Ignoring the fact that secondhand smoke is quite harmful, if a smoker is decreasing his/her lung capacity and compromising his or her peak ability to play at a championship level, then they are having an effect on the overall performance of the corps. 

Maybe they would be better, but not my business if they can hang with the expectations of the group.

I didn't mention second hand smoke. I just assumed that smokers would go off and smoke away from others.

We get it. You hate smokers. I don't want to be anywhere near them indoors or near a window either, but I'm not going to be militant about it if they don't interfere with me.

Edited by jjeffeory

1 hour ago, mrk said:

A tobacco user passing a physical and being permitted march is not the same as being permitted to use tobacco products. I'd imagine that you are not allowed to (and hope that you'd choose not to) use tobacco products when teaching high school students or on most school's grounds. I also hope that one day overwhelming objective science would prevent subjective anecdotal examples from being used as arguements in public forms.

I don't smoke around the students, I go to the other side of the parking lot to do so. Which is what corps members could do.

9 hours ago, HolyNOLA said:

Sorry I just disagree. I don't consider anything I write a check for a "privilege."

Actually, you pay for a driver's license, so that you can participate in the privilege of driving.

8 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Actually, you pay for a driver's license, so that you can participate in the privilege of driving.

Legal privileges are a bit different. Even still, being able to drive is also a right available to anyone who follows the law. 

Owning the car is the real expense of driving, and I don't consider being a vehicle owner a privilege. 

If I give the corps a bunch of money to haul me around the country all summer, you can say I'm paying them for a service.  

Edited by HolyNOLA

Just now, HolyNOLA said:

Legal privileges are a bit different. Even still, being able to drive is also a right available to anyone who follows the law. 

Owning the car is the real expense if driving, and I don't consider being a vehicle owner a privilege. 

If I give the corps a bunch of money to haul me around the country all summer, you can say I'm paying them for a service.  

Driving has never been a "right" as compared to other actual Constitutional legal rights. 

• Like 3